You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

bug Listen on COM2 not correct works

Thomas Czarnetzki

Thomas Czarnetzki
Posted
Posted

Hi,

i have tested the simultaneous use of VHF1/VHF2 and found perhaps a Bug:

VHF2 = EDDF ATIS (118.020)
VHF1 = EDDF TOWER (119.900)

If i enable the VHF2-Read Button in the A320FBW, nothing happen.
But if i enable Both VHF2+VHF3 Read-Button, i can read both frequencys.
I try to debug this, and compare the SIMVARs:

"COM RECEIVE:2" is set to "true" => nothing is happen.
"COM RECEIVE:3" is set to "true" => nothing is happen.
"COM RECEIVE ALL" is set to "true" => vPilot enable read on COM2

It looks like, that vPilot read "COM RECEIVE ALL" instead of "COM RECEIVE:2" to enable COM2.

Used Software/Versions:
- MSFS: 1.22.2.0
- vPilot: 3.2.0 (stable)
- FBW: Experimental (e3e4f4d)

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yes, vPilot only looks at COM RECEIVE ALL and it will receive on whichever COM radio is set for transmit, or it will receive on both if COM RECEIVE ALL is true. This is not a bug, this is by design, as the COM RECEIVE:x vars are not available in all the sims that vPilot supports. In my opinion, the FBW A320 should be setting the COM RECEIVE ALL var to true when you are receiving on both COM1 and COM2, in order to be backward compatible with SimConnect add-ons.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Thomas Czarnetzki
Posted
Posted

Which FBW Version do you use?
As i wrote before, on my case the FBW set first the "COM RECEIVE ALL" to true, if i active read on both VHF2 and VHF3.

Which would also be the correct behavior, since only then are ALL really on to "read".

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't use MSFS or FBW at all.

As I said, in my opinion, they should set COM RECEIVE ALL to true if Com1 and Com2 are receiving, for backward compatibility. That simvar was created in FSX which only supported two COM radios.

Edited by Ross Carlson

• 2 weeks later...
Thomas Czarnetzki
Posted
Posted

Related on this bug-reports at FBW:
https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx/issues/5620
https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx/issues/3854

I understand vPilot, that they have to compatible to olders sims.
But i also understand, that FBW will not change a correct implemented function.

So i think the only way to fix this is, a switchable option in vPilot, where every user can select, who COM1+COM2 will works.
I think this checkbox is not a big Feature-Request, but will solve it :-)

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's unfortunate, but understandable, that they don't want to keep the meaning of the COM RECEIVE ALL variable to mean COM1+COM2 as it always has been, for the purposes of compatibility with vPilot and any other SimConnect app that expects that functionality. (It's not just vPilot.) I understand their position, they feel that COM RECEIVE ALL should only be set to true when every radio in the aircraft is enabled for receive, but I think they should not change the meaning of the variable. This is how other aircraft in the past which support more than two radios have behaved. (Such as several PMDG aircraft.) They keep the meaning of COM RECEIVE ALL the same, and provide other ways to get the receive state for radios other than COM1/2. Indeed, new variables were added in MSFS for aircraft with more than two radios, namely the COM RECEIVE:x variable where you can specify the radio number. I feel that they should keep COM RECEIVE ALL the way it has been, and use the new variables to indicate receive status on all radios. This would maintain backward compatibility and allow new apps to read the state of all radios in a deterministic way, i.e. a way that does not change depending on the number of radios the current aircraft happens to have.

It's a matter of opinion, and neither is wrong.

In any case, the right way for vPilot to handle the radios in sims that support more than two radios is to make use of the new variables mentioned above, when the user is using a sim that provides them. (Currently only MSFS as far as I know.) There does not need to be a checkbox for this.

I try to avoid adding sim-specific functionality in vPilot, because it can make the code a mess and can lead to hard-to-find bugs, but I'll add this to the list. It's not going to be a priority, so I can't say when I'll get to it. For now, I suggest you use the workarounds mentioned in that thread if you want to receive on more than one radio at a time.

Edited by Ross Carlson

Michael Corcoran
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

This is nothing to do with the A32NX, and in-fact the COM RECEIVE ALL simvar isn't actually writable. The behaviour of this simvar in MSFS seems to be that all COM receivers defined in systems.cfg for the aircraft must be on/receiving. You can confirm this with the default A320neo, B747-8, or Cessna CJ4.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Michael Corcoran said:

Hi Ross,

This is nothing to do with the A32NX, and in-fact the COM RECEIVE ALL simvar isn't actually writable. The behaviour of this simvar in MSFS seems to be that all COM receivers defined in systems.cfg for the aircraft must be on/receiving. You can confirm this with the default A320neo, B747-8, or Cessna CJ4.

Interesting, since in this reply they imply that they set the var. 🤷‍♂️

It's academic anyway ... the right way to handle this with MSFS is to use the COM RECEIVE:x vars.

Michael Corcoran
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

Interesting, since in this reply they imply that they set the var. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, that reply sent me on a bit of a goose chase to find the code that sets it... only to find there is none 😆. So I tested those 3 default aircraft that also have 3 VHF comm radios, to find the same result as in the A32NX.

39 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

It's academic anyway ... the right way to handle this with MSFS is to use the COM RECEIVE:x vars.

Indeed, that is the way. Unfortunate that the older ESP sims don't all support that.