You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS

Greg Dildine

Greg Dildine
Posted
Posted

I'm new to Vatsim, and I don't completely understand Vatsim having it's own ATIS. How does this relate to "live wx" in MSFS? Thanks for more info or pointing me to more info. Also, is this the right place in the forum for this type of question?Thanks.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

An ATIS is an Automated Terminal Information Service, it is more than just weather, it also includes runway operations and approach types in use, and a number of other things going on at the aerodrome, every airport has one that is offering an Air traffic service.

I don't use MSFS so I don't know what live weather is, I use active sky. I assume live weather is just that live weather, the thing with VATSIM is, the weather data is delayed from what is happening out side at that specific time.

Further more, MSFS is not the only sim used on the network, so VATSIM caters for everyone.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Timothy Haibach
Posted
Posted

I dont do any commercial flying on msfs but recommend both windy.com and runwayweather/atis to compare 2 real world sources to what you are geting in the sim. Its true vatsim weather is a couple hrs old. Look for the zulu time effective stamp in the atis.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
On 3/29/2022 at 7:40 PM, Greg Dildine said:

I'm new to Vatsim, and I don't completely understand Vatsim having it's own ATIS. How does this relate to "live wx" in MSFS? Thanks for more info or pointing me to more info. Also, is this the right place in the forum for this type of question?Thanks.

The (arguably) most important information in an ATIS broadcast is the runways in use.  This is a decision *based on* current weather, and VATSIM controllers will nearly always base such operational decisions on simulated weather which mimics live real-world conditions as closely as possible.

Side note, however: the operational decision that a VATSIM controller makes about an airport's directional flow (i.e. which landing and departing runways are in use) may not always correspond to that airport's real-world counterpart.  If a VATSIM controller chooses to run an airport, for example, in an eastbound flow even though that same airport is running westbound in the real world, please defer to the VATSIM ATIS over the real-world one.  There are other factors in that decision aside from wind direction, and those other factors may include things that differ between the real and simulated worlds.

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

One important such factor is traffic volume.

For example, when operating in 18/36 direction, EHAM has 3 parallel runways available; during the arrival peaks, they will use two of them for arrivals and one for departures, and during the subsequent departure peak, they do it the other way around. But those peaks IRL don't correspond with peaks on VATSIM, so the IRL runway configuration doesn't always make sense on VATSIM.

23.png