You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Headset/Microphone

Robert Dubenezic

Robert Dubenezic
Posted
Posted

Can someone recommend a decent comfortable headset w/ mic for around $100.00 USD?

Thank you.

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure about pricing... I was gifted the Saitek 'flight' headset a few years back; it's the only real looking GA headset (that I know of) designed for computer use.  It is actually quite uncomfortable I would say, it has uncomfortable foam rubber ear cups and the sizing doesn't fit right.  I have worn out for hours of flying and put the discomfort out of my mind, or isn't terrible; but certainly not comfortable. 

Otherwise they work fairly well, they have an earcup adjustable volume knob, boom mic with mute pushbutton, and standard computer connectors for audio 3.175mm (1/8").  It does put you in a bit of a flight mode by using ~similar~ gear to what you fly with, the audio quality is pretty good, but not perfect HIFI, so you do get a bit of GA audio sense with that as well.  I like them, it's what I fly with.  Even though my $450 DC headset is crazy comfortable with the gel earcups, Is rather not is that in my simulator, I just save those for real airplanes.

I have another cheaper headset, similar to what Commercial transport pilots wear these days, but I don't fly the big jets so I never use them.  I'm surprised there aren't any more variety of products out there seeings-as how popular flt sim is. 

To be honest, if I ever bought another set I'd buy a real set of DCs, and use them for both the simulator, and I'd have a backup set for real aviation or a passenger.  You can't beat the fit, comfort, quality, and feel of the real deal, and I think a couple hundred dollars for a base model is pretty good. 

Best of luck. 

In My (virtual) Hangar:

C172 :: C-FXMY

M20M :: C-GRYR

Baron 58 :: C-TVUY

Kellan Oberhelman
Posted
Posted

I recommend the steelseries arctis 3 wired. Very comfortable, good sound quality for 65$ IIRC.