You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

xPilot is unable to connect to X-Plane 11

Daniel Kormendy

Daniel Kormendy
Posted
Posted

I have been having issues with xPilot being unable to connect to X-Plane 11, I attempted to receive support in the xPilot discord but I got minimal assistance. I have attempted restarting my computer, reinstalling the program entirely, starting xPilot only when a flight is actually started in X-Plane 11, changing settings based on this guide xPilot doesn't connect to X-Plane - stuck on "Waiting for X-Plane Connection", and I still have no luck. I'll attach my log file here and I hope one of the great members of the community can come forward and assist me. Thanks!

log.txt

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Daniel,

simply search your log.txt file for the term "xpilot" and you will find the following error message:

0:03:13.096 xPilot:  ERROR There are no valid CSL paths configured. Please verify your CSL configuration in X-Plane (Plugins > xPilot > Settings > CSL Configuration).

You will have to install and configure a CSL model set in xpilot, otherwise it won't have any aircraft models to render other players on the network.

There is also a second error message in connection with xpilot:

0:03:13.096 xPilot:  ERROR Socket listen error (tcp://*:53100): Invalid argument

So, it seems the port here is different from the port on the help page.

Daniel Kormendy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Okay great, thank you so much! I'm looking for some genuine assistance and I appreciate you, I'm gonna mess with xPilot and X-Plane 11 settings to reflect these issues reported by my log file. I receive any more issues after changes that I make, I will come back with a different log file.

Edited by Daniel Kormendy

Daniel Kormendy
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

So, it seems the port here is different from the port on the help page.

Hey Andreas, I again thank you for responding. I did my work and I reinstalled the xPilot plugin and installed CSL models and I am not receiving that error anymore. Further, when I went to review the port issue with X-Plane 11. I was extremely confused how the game would be reported a port on 53100 when I have the legacy receive port set to 49000 and it shouldn't be having issues. I then decided to go into the config.json file in the xPilot plugin files and realized where the issue was coming from. The port was set as 53100 and I furthermore changed it to 49000 to hopefully help the plugin connect with the xPilot client. When I opened everything with the changes I had made, I still had the same result. I then reviewed my new log file and I found this.

0:00:59.388 xPilot:  ERROR Socket listen error (tcp://*:49000): Invalid argument

I'm confused because under the xPilot not connecting to X-Plane 11 in the official xPilot FAQ documentation. It states that the legacy port should be set to 49000 yet xPilot doesn't accept it and will not connect using that port number. 

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Great that you were able to resolve the CSL models.

Regarding the port settings I cannot help much. I am not using xpilot myself, so never had this issue.

Maybe you can show your error message again on the xpilot Discord, someone there must know what to do.

• 1 month later...
DAFO1711
Posted
Posted

Good evening David, I have exactly the same issue as you have reported and continue to experience the same problem after many hours trying to resolve. 

Did you get this issue resolved and if so , can I ask how ? 

Many thanks 

Dave 

• 4 months later...
Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

NEED HELP,

Hi, I am also dealing with the connection problem of xpilot with XP11, but only versions past 27. Version 27 has no issues.

BUT there is another problem:
My simulator cockpit with three super wide monitors plus several small screens of navigation insruments is operated by two networking computer. The slave delivers the scenery for the side visuals. I need to the vatsim-generated traffic there as well, particular on busy airports. I am unable to make this working. On the slave computer there is also xPilot installed, version 33, which connects with xp11 on that machine without any problem. It also connects with vatsim, but it then kicks out xPilot from vatsim network at the master computer (when using the same call sign).

Here is what I have already tried:
1) connecting xPilot on the master with my regular call sign and on the slave with call sign plus "A". This works, I see vatsim-generated traffic on all three screens, but it is obviously forbidden.

2) typing into the xPilot at the master .visualip (IP of the slave), not doing anything on the slave (no xPilot idling). Result NEGATIVE, xPilot at the master connected.

3) typing into the xPilot at the master .visualip (IP of the slave), xPilot at the slave in idle but not connected. Result NEGATIVE, xPilot at the master connected.

4) typing into the xPilot at the slave .visualip (IP of the slave),  xPilot at the slave in idle but not connected. Result NEGATIVE, xPilot at the master connected.

5) typing into the xPilot at the slave .visualip (IP of the master),  xPilot at the slave in idle but not connected. Result NEGATIVE, xPilot at the master connected.

My questions:
1) does anybody know the correct procedure ?
2) is it necessary that both xPilot have to be the same version, do I have to downgrade 33 on the slave to 27
3) does someone know, why 27 works and all later versions cannot connect with xp11
4) is it true, that my attempt #1 is illegal ?

I would very much appreciate any help, thank you in advance

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted (edited)

You should only have one instance of the xPilot client running and connected to the network. Each X-Plane machine must have the same version of xPilot installed.

Try these steps:

1. Upgrade to the latest version (beta 39 as of writing) on each of your X-Plane machines. You'll need to launch X-Plane and load a flight to update the configuration file in preparation for the next step.
  2. On each your X-Plane machines (including the master), edit the xPilot plugin configuration file to enable xPilot to work over a network (X-Plane must be closed before making this change). Locate the xPilot plugin configuration file and open it in a text editor (X-Plane/Resources/plugins/xPilot/Resources/Config.json). Change the UseTcpSocket option to true. Also make sure the PluginPort is the same across all your X-Plane instances (the default value is 53100). Save and close the config file. It should look something like this:

image.png.327b6fd439402682948e9e86bb6c92f5.png

3. Launch the xPilot client. Type the command .simip followed by the IP address of your master X-Plane machine's IP (e.g. .simip 192.168.1.100). Next, configure the IP addresses of your visual machines: .visualip 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.103.

4. Close and reopen the xPilot client and start your X-Plane instances and see if it connects.

Edited by Justin Shannon

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

I do not see any effect on command .simip. Except with .simip set to real ip xpilot did not connect with x-plane...

ACH2118.jpg

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Justin Shannon said:

You should only have one instance of the xPilot client running and connected to the network. Each X-Plane machine must have the same version of xPilot installed.

Try these steps:

1. Upgrade to the latest version (beta 39 as of writing) on each of your X-Plane machines. You'll need to launch X-Plane and load a flight to update the configuration file in preparation for the next step.
  2. On each your X-Plane machines (including the master), edit the xPilot plugin configuration file to enable xPilot to work over a network (X-Plane must be closed before making this change). Locate the xPilot plugin configuration file and open it in a text editor (X-Plane/Resources/plugins/xPilot/Resources/Config.json). Change the UseTcpSocket option to true. Also make sure the PluginPort is the same across all your X-Plane instances (the default value is 53100). Save and close the config file. It should look something like this:

image.png.327b6fd439402682948e9e86bb6c92f5.png

3. Launch the xPilot client. Type the command .simip followed by the IP address of your master X-Plane machine's IP (e.g. .simip 192.168.1.100). Next, configure the IP addresses of your visual machines: .visualip 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.103.

4. Close and reopen the xPilot client and start your X-Plane instances and see if it connects.

thank you very much for this information. As my two computers don´t have a fixed IP in the network, I guess I have to get this done first.
The reason why any later version past 27 does not connect with XP11 (only on the master) is the wrong plugin port ? correct ? OK, will fix this
the config line "UseTcpSocket" does not exist in older versions, for example 27, correct ?
referring 3) all these settings are made only at the xPilot on my master, xPilot on the slave will not be turned on, it is just installed and properly configurated, correct??

Thank you for taking time to help me

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Albert Welledits said:

thank you very much for this information. As my two computers don´t have a fixed IP in the network, I guess I have to get this done first.
The reason why any later version past 27 does not connect with XP11 (only on the master) is the wrong plugin port ? correct ? OK, will fix this
the config line "UseTcpSocket" does not exist in older versions, for example 27, correct ?
referring 3) all these settings are made only at the xPilot on my master, xPilot on the slave will not be turned on, it is just installed and properly configurated, correct??

Thank you for taking time to help me

one  more question:
since my sim is of semi-professional use, I need a fall back concept. When I backup the directory "xPilot" inside X-Plane 11 and the directory "Ressources/Plugins/xPilot" and put them back in case my attempt to update fails, will it work ? copy//paste ?

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

The level of frustration rises....
I made a copy of xpilot directories inside the xp11 main directory and the plugin directory, fortunately. Then I started xpilot, got asked if I want to upgrade from working version 27 to latest (version 39) and I agreed. I got forced to shutdown xp11, completed the update, started xp11, started xpilot but xpilot did not connect to xp11. Surprisingly xpilot did not install the content inside the plugin directory. I copy pasted the earlier saved backup of version 27 and this works again.
Same story with xpilot on the second computer.
Before I re-installed version 27 I made a look inside the config file and found out, that the command line "UseTpSocket" does not exist. Also version 27 does not understand the command .simip..........

BUT SURPRISE SURPRISE
the command .visualip [ip of slave] typed into the xpilot of the master lead to a visualisation of vatsim generated traffic !!!!!!!!!!
no simip, no usetpsocket configuration, both instances in version 27 turned on and only on the master connected to the network made an vatsim generated incoming aircraft viisble at all screens. However, make this happen again failed...

THEN I DID THIS !!
1) start of xPilot on Slave, BUT NOT CONNECTED with network
2) start of xPilot on Master, typed .visualip [IP of slave], turned off xPilot, started again, connected to network and it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

The steps I posted were specifically tailored for the latest xPilot version.

In my post I explicitly said that you had to boot up X-Plane and start a flight for the configuration file to be updated with the new config options:

“You'll need to launch X-Plane and load a flight to update the configuration file in preparation for the next step.”

It’s great you figured out how to make it work, but keep in mind that I will not be providing any further support with that old version you’re using. 

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

… but I don’t figure out, why non of the versions past 27 do not connect with XP11….

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have found that at least sometimes it seems to depend if you have xPilot running before x-plane or not.

Of course this could be just a co-incidence.

Edited by Lauri Uusitalo
ACH2118.jpg

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

kiitos Lauri, will check this out. For now I am happy to get things working on both computer with version 27.......