You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vATIS v4b2 Unhandled Exception On Every Wx Update

Steven Perry

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

Using v4 beta 2, I get an "unhandled exception: PostIdsUpdate Error: A task was canceled." every time the weather updates.  The first occurrence seems to leave the window open so I was able to get a screenshot, but once the second update fires the program gives the polite update "ding" but then crashes completely.

Any help on this error that anyone can offer me?

image.png.8b6f7155a4d571878bf96d39e6e20c13.png

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Collin Koldoff
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Steven Perry said:

Using v4 beta 2, I get an "unhandled exception: PostIdsUpdate Error: A task was canceled." every time the weather updates.  The first occurrence seems to leave the window open so I was able to get a screenshot, but once the second update fires the program gives the polite update "ding" but then crashes completely.

Any help on this error that anyone can offer me?

I am not a "developer" of vATIS, although I have done some small changes to the open source code.
I was taking a look at the source of this issue and it appears that it is caused by attempting to update the IDS using the URL in the profile.

Just from reading the code it appears that it is from the request timing out after 5 seconds.

I unfortunately can not debug it myself as I can't build the correct files for authentication so until Justin can get around to updating it you will have to remove the IDS Endpoint URL from the composite configuration or use vATIS v3.

It obviously shouldn't have an unhandled exception, but it may be caused by slower internet speeds or a bad connection to the IDS server.

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

I cleared out the IDS Endpoint URL and still got the same behavior.

I get pings of 15-50ms and speeds of 200+mbps so I don't think its slow on my side.

Other ideas?

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Collin Koldoff
Posted
Posted

That is weird. If the IDS Endpoint URL was empty it shouldn't have had an error at all.

The code shouldn't reach the location of the error when the url is empty.
https://github.com/vatis-project/vatis/blob/8d857ca3c5cfce9168d52ecd571f94327e3b6de6/Vatis.Client/Atis/AtisBuilder.cs#L469-L470

If the URL is completely empty and you have tried restarting vATIS afterwards to make sure it saved then I am out of ideas.

The error occurs when no response is received in 5 seconds. So if for whatever reason, the time to get to the server,  the time for the server to process the data and give a result and the time to get back all together is more than 5 seconds it will display the error.

It could also be that the traffic is being blocked and the request is not actually going through.

It was designed to fail gracefully and display it on the main window but that is not the case.