You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Connecting to VATSIM audio without a flight simulator

StormProductions

StormProductions
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I'm very grateful that one of my friends, who is a keen aviator, shared more information about this network with me, so I was able to join it. I'm also very excited to make my first post on this forum.

As I have just discovered the virtual aviation niche, I would like to learn more before I can be part of it as a pilot, so I would like to ask your advice on what website or software I could use to connect to the audio of any airport that is part of the VATSIM network without using a flight simulator. 

I'm willing to install any software to do this, as long as it's free - unfortunately my financial situation doesn't allow me to pay for software at the moment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi,

do you have a name? We are trying to be a bit more personal here...

If you want to observe traffic and listen to the communication between controllers and pilots, you can use one of the existing radar programs to connect to VATSIM as OBS (observer). In Europe, most people use a software called "Euroscope". On top of this radar program you will also need the standalone AFV-client (Audio For VATSIM). Once you have successfully connected your radar client to the network, you can also connect AFV. When logging in as OBS, use the initials of your first and last name followed by "_OBS", e.g. I'd use "AF_OBS".

If you do not have money for a flight simulator product, go and check out "Flightgear". It is a freeware flight simulator, it is not as pretty as MSFS or X-Plane, but it is OpenSource and crowdfunded. To connect Flightgear to VATSIM you will need the "swift" pilot client.

StormProductions
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

do you have a name? We are trying to be a bit more personal here...

Hi,

Yes, my real name is Nicolae, but you can call me Nick. Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. :) 

I'll try to give the software that you have suggested a try. Thank you for your reply!

• Like 1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, StormProductions said:

my real name is Nicolae, but you can call me Nick. Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself

You could create a signature in your forum settings 🙂