You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Permanent Transmit light

imagegear

Go to solution Solved by Ross Carlson,

imagegear
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi

As soon as I connect vPilot to the network, the transmit light comes on and stays on until I disconnect, nothing heard apart from carrier I believe.

It was all working fine for years until a Win 11 update a few weeks ago.

I verified the functionality of my Logitech Pro headset using Zoom and both output and input were working fine with good levels.

FS2020 and vPilot  3.1.6

Will send logs as requested

Thanks,

Ken

Edited by imagegear

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What are you using for PTT?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

imagegear
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was originally using the lower left white button on my honeycomb alpha. I suspected the yoke so I unplugged it, and mapped ptt to a button on my keyboard  Now getting desperate, I mapped it to the space bar  It never changed the transmit light staying on.

I gave up and pushed the "black and yellow".

Reading other posts is this possibly the IPv6 issu, I will test in the morning.

Let me know if you need more

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Edited by imagegear

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Try running vPilot in debug mode (using the shortcuts in the start menu) and then look at the info in the debug window to see if vPilot thinks your PTT button is pressed. You should see messages in the debug window that indicate when you press or release PTT.

imagegear
Posted
Posted (edited)

I ran the debug version and some very interesting things became apparent.

1. I could see the transmit key operating in the debug window, but only once, thereafter it did not appear again. It may have been on making the network connection, and the COM1 tx light came on until I disconnected.

2. However, even after I had completely disconnected the Alpha, the PTT setting in vPilot continued to offer me Alpha buttons and I could never select a keyboard PTT.

3. vPilot will not release the alpha buttons even when trying to set a new PTT,  so I cannot select any keyboard button, it continues to bounce back to the alpha selection 

So perhaps when I was hitting the transmit key, it was sending the PTT to the spurious alpha selection

I know of a configuration tool for the alpha and I thought it may give me some insight as to why it may be complicit in this issue, but and cannot remember where I saw it. 

For interest I tested text on frequency and it worked both ways correctly.

I am struggling a bit here

Ken

Edited by imagegear

• Solution
Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If you press the button to set a new PTT and it immediately detects a button on the alpha, that means that the alpha is sending continuous on/off signals from its buttons.

After the first alpha button is detected, if you press the "Set a Different PTT Key or Button" button, it should ignore the first one that was detected, and watch for other button or key presses.

imagegear
Posted
Posted

The problem is that I am still getting the Alpha PTT buttons being the only option to select even when the Alpha is totally discounted from my machine.

Question is, even with Alpha disconnected, why can I not select any other keyboard button?

Ken

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure what you mean by "the only option to select". What selection are you referring to? There is no place where you "select" a PTT option. It just watches for button or keypresses.

imagegear
Posted
Posted (edited)

Within the vPilot PTT settings, on first entry, with the Alpha totally disconnected, I see an alpha button as the current PTT selection. (which I would expect because if the Alpha has been disconnected, I would want vPilot to remember my PTT setting for when I reconnect it).

However, consider that my Alpha is broke, I must be able to set a new PTT for example on the keyboard, It is this attempt to change the PTT selection, at this time that fails , because as soon as I hit the "clear current PTT selection" or "set new PTT selection", the setting window momentarily changes to blank for entry, but then within half a second, it changes "itself" back to the Alpha button setting which was previously in the window.

This cycle of failures continues after rebooting vPilot, reloading the app from your site, or any other change I can try.

I hope this helps,

Ken

Edited by imagegear

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

After it detects the alpha button, press the "Set a Different PTT Key or Button" button. This will cause vPilot to scan for button presses again, but this time, it will ignore the button that was first detected. What happens then?

imagegear
Posted
Posted (edited)

As stated above,: 

As soon as I hit the "clear current PTT selection" or try to "set new PTT selection", the setting window momentarily changes to blank for entry, but then within half a second, it changes "itself" back to the Alpha button setting

It only ignores the Alpha button for half a second before going back to it.

Edited by imagegear

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Are you sure it's going back to the exact same button? It will ignore the same button for as long as you still have the settings window open. You would have to exit out of the settings and come back in in order for it to detect the same button number again.

imagegear
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well thanks to your support the problem is fixed

To cut to the chase, as I said, I could not clear the PTT key. Even when I had disconnected the Alpha completely. 

Now, I followed your procedure but it would still not clear then I had a freaky thought, through all of this issue, my Bravo had remained connected. I have never used the Bravo as PTT but I quickly whipped out the cable.

Immediately, everything began to work. I could clear out the Alpha button set, apply and leave settings. I restarted vPilot and the PTT state continued to be clear. It was then very simple to reassign the PTT to the Keyboard spacebar for testing, and I was immediately 5/5 with Manchester Ground.

Why would the Bravo actually cause vPilot not to drop the old Alpha PTT?.... I have no idea.

So we are back in action. If you need any other info for debug, just let me know.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ken

Edited by imagegear