You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

N456J is 12 miles South with Quebec to land.... or N456J with Echo

Kevin McBrady

Kevin McBrady
Posted
Posted

What do these terms, with Quebec or with Echo mean... Ive also seen Alpha ???

Just started and had my first 2 flights today, but kinda bungled them both, but the ATC at both Boston and Vancouver, were great,

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)

It means the pilot has obtained the ATIS for that airport. The phonetic letter Alpha, Echo ect is the ATIS Identifier.

Each ATIS has a letter that identifies which is current and changes to the next letter in the sequence for each update, for example if a pilot calls up and says they have Echo, but Foxtrot is now current, then the controller advises them that the ATIS they have is out of date. The ATIS will change with the weather change.

https://my.vatsim.net/learn/aviation-knowledge/section/122 will help you.

Edited by Kirk Christie

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Kevin McBrady
Posted
Posted

Oh, I do remember seeing a letter z at the bottom of one report, so ok thank you ! 

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

The identification letter of the ATIS broadcast is given at the beginning of the broadcast, eg. "Stansted information Quebec" indicates that this ATIS broadcast for Stansted airfield has the ident Q.

• Confused 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Kevin McBrady
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Alistair Thomson said:

The identification letter of the ATIS broadcast is given at the beginning of the broadcast, eg. "Stansted information Quebec" indicates that this ATIS broadcast for Stansted airfield has the ident Q.

Ok I see that now on one im looking at... "GLASGOW Information "O" " Thank you. It just changed too haha. So many things to consider, with all the air spaces and stuff. 

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Sure, there's a lot to learn! 🙂

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.