You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VFR Unicom

Gary Reed

Gary Reed
Posted
Posted

I just bought XP11.5 on Steam Sale. I Love it. I really want to use it and if XPs native ATC were even like P3D/FSX I would be pleased. See, I'm learning to fly and I do my simming in line with my real world level. Piston single, non controlled airports, VFR. Would I be able to emulate flight following, Charlie transition, and UNICOM reporting on Vatsim or is IFR filing mandatory? I want this for X-plane 11 use.

Thanks

John Stockton
Posted
Posted

Do all the VFR on VATSIM that you want. Use 122.8 for Unicom at all airports.

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, John Stockton said:

Use 122.8 for Unicom at all airports

To be a bit more precise, use the above frequency for all non-towered airports, or at towered airports only when no ATC is online.

Gary Reed
Posted
Posted

Unicom at towered airports when no ATC is online. Okay.  a real world towered airport, KUNV is only manned part time. daylight I think. Would a controller online tower online grant my approach/landing for an airport with part time tower like this?

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

If someone is logged on as UNV_TWR then yes (regardless of the real world hours of operation).

With VATSIMs top-down philosophy, a NY Center controller might be very busy and we usually provide class D services workload permitting and/or based on real world hours.

New York ARTCC

• 3 months later...
Brian Smith
Posted
Posted
On 7/11/2022 at 8:31 PM, John Stockton said:

Do all the VFR on VATSIM that you want. Use 122.8 for Unicom at all airports.

Will we ever get to a point where we use the actual CTAFs on Vatsim?  I thought that was one of the goals of AFV

5212673872_4ab659a0ab_m.jpg

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

In my opinion that is not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

Not every country is like the US where such an implementation might be easy. Some countries use 8.33 kHz channel spacing (which we currently choose not to support on VATSIM), some countries don't give you unrestricted access to their AIP (either by putting it behind a paywall or by restricting access to only their own citizens), etc.

We would need a solution to "The CTAF for this airport is 123.935 and you really have to know where to look to find that out" first.