You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

My microphone is coming across to ATC as muffled with a lot of background noise...

Michael Mooney

Michael Mooney
Posted
Posted

I only joined vatsim and vpilot for the first time today and got everything set up. The only problem is when I transmitted on the frequency to ATC and asked for a radio check, they said "2/5 muffled and a lot of background noise". It seems like the microphone on my headset is picking up the sound coming out of the headset itself which is half the problem and the other half is obviously the muffling. I tried messing with the volume etc and went to a different airport, asked for a radio check and got the same response. The headset and mic are HyperX and sound and feel great so it would be frustrating if the problem is with the headset. Is there any way I could fix this?

Steve Eardley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Michael I’m also fairly new to Vatsim and all I’ve done presently is sit a a few airports well out of the way and observe.

Microphone position appears to be a major factor for voice clarity, generally gaming type headsets require the mic to be positioned at the side of your face i.e. not directly in front of the mouth ( most won’t reach that far).

You may have seen professional pilots with the mic directly in front of their mouths but costing thousands of pounds for the likes of Bose headsets these are designed to be used as such.

Another check is to perform a mic test on Vpilot, speak normally and check the signal doesn’t keep hitting the red zone.

Take care.

Steve.

Edited by Steve Eardley