You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Too hot to fly tonight

John McMurdo

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

So its currently still 31C in my flat and its just coming up to 6pm. I think simming is off the cards tonight. Even at idle my PC is running around 10C warmer than normal,  and I myself feel as though I am running a lot warmer than normal.  I'm sure my PC could handle the extra work in this heat,  but that extra heat is only going to go and add to my already warm room.

Forecast is for thunder tomorrow so that should cool things down a bit, although the humidity may actually make it worse,  because the air is still quite dry at the moment.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Strong suggestion:  Do not leave ice on the top of your case to cool down the machine.  That's not the right way to do liquid cooling.... 😉😉😉 

• Haha 2

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Don Desfosse said:

Strong suggestion:  Do not leave ice on the top of your case to cool down the machine.  That's not the right way to do liquid cooling.... 😉😉😉 

Don't worry, I wont - I don't like the idea of liquid cooling, especially not water cooling.  I don't see a real need for water cooling unless one is overclocking, which is another thing I have no intention of trying :P

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, John McMurdo said:

So its currently still 31C in

Just an Aussie winter really.... 

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2022 at 2:53 AM, John McMurdo said:

So its currently still 31C in my flat and its just coming up to 6pm. I think simming is off the cards tonight. Even at idle my PC is running around 10C warmer than normal,  and I myself feel as though I am running a lot warmer than normal.  I'm sure my PC could handle the extra work in this heat,  but that extra heat is only going to go and add to my already warm room.

Forecast is for thunder tomorrow so that should cool things down a bit, although the humidity may actually make it worse,  because the air is still quite dry at the moment.

What country are you in? I hear that because airconditioning is not common in some countries they have been caught short by the current conditions. Because most Australian homes have airconditioning either evaporative or refrigerated we rarely have this issue. I would love to have 31 degrees because bloody cold here in Melbourne. Getting down to 0 degrees at night with highs of about 14 degrees during the day.

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2022 at 6:30 PM, Kirk Christie said:

Just an Aussie winter really.... 

Where in Oz, maybe up in Darwin perhaps😆 bloody cold here in Melbourne. Getting down to 0 degrees at night with highs of about 14 degrees during the day. a minus temperature in Alice Springs last week!!!

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Daniel Mckee said:

Getting down to 0 degrees at night with highs of about 14 degrees during the day

Sheer bliss! Here in Ontario in winter it regularly hits -25C during the day, sometimes as low as -40. Now THAT's cold! 🙂

• Haha 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Daniel Mckee said:

What country are you in? I hear that because airconditioning is not common in some countries they have been caught short by the current conditions. Because most Australian homes have airconditioning either evaporative or refrigerated we rarely have this issue. I would love to have 31 degrees because bloody cold here in Melbourne. Getting down to 0 degrees at night with highs of about 14 degrees during the day.

From UK.  It is rare that the temp gets that high, and Monday was the hottest it has been in a long time,  the past week has been a little cooler and this weekend has been very mild,  but it looks like it might start to heat up again next week,  but nothing like Monday.

• Like 1

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I feel for you folks who are being hit with this heat wave and don't have air conditioning.  I guess I've had it easy, but -- I was born in an air-conditioned room, and God willing, I'm gonna die in an air-conditioned room.

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png