You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Questions regarding vfr and callsign with airliners

RIVIERE Romain

RIVIERE Romain
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone,

Firstly I hope this is the right section of the forum to ask my questions regarding pilot flying on the vatsim network within MSFS 2020;

This is my first time on the forum and eventually on vatsim, mainly done regular IFR flights (already made 5 flights, 2 first wings and 3 in Europe during normal events,) and so far so good;

I was asking myself a cupple of questions before doing so on the network and after searching the forum and the web, I could'nt find any answers :

1. Funny one: Is it possible to fly VFR in an A320 (or even a B747) on vatsim  ? (as long as I respect altitude and speed rules) ? for exemple doing a trip around the world with multiple legs, doing some sightseeing, jumping island to island etc...  ?  For example I was thinking like a full VFR flight from A to B or perhaps taking off IFR from departure airport, then asking "cancel IFR" for the middle part of the flightplan, with eventually some touch and gos at some intermediate airports, then finishing IFR at the arrival airport.

But the main part of this question is How does controllers accept this kind of "non regular" type of flights ? Of course I intend to do so outside of events.

2. If my first question returns positive answers, when filling a flight plan (I use Simbrief), what is the best way to tell that I am going to do some touchs and gos in a320 at some intermediate airport, in VFR or even IFR between a SID and a STAR ?

Also If "Cancel IFR" works in vatsim, can I get back into it and does it requires another clearance in flight to do so ? Generally speaking how does it work ?

3. Callsign: as I don't for the moment really want to fly an existing airline ,  I have flown with a personal ICAO type callsign (YSM 974) on A320neo, which isn't used by any airline worldwide, so far so good, but sometimes some controllers asked me if I have a corresponding callsign (like Speedbird for BAW), which I responded no it's just "Yankee Sierra Mike 974". Does it matters or do I have to invent a corresponding callsign ? or even create a virtual airline maybe ? And how does controllers accept this kind of "non regular" type of callsign as I read they tend to prefer real world use in general ? So far I seem to be fine but what are your thoughts ?

Thank you all in advance for your answers, anyway vatsim has been great realistic fun with MSFS 2020,

All the best from Reunion Island,

Romain

• RIVIERE Romain changed the title to Questions regarding vfr and callsign with airliners
Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

1.  Yes, you can fly VFR in an airliner - although you'll likely get a controller asking you if you meant to file that way!  🙂  If you're flying VFR, make sure you check you're not going into Class A airspace where VFR isn't allowed - you'll also need to check other classes where clearance to enter is required when flying as VFR:

https://skybrary.aero/articles/classification-airspace

2.  In respect of how to file this, I've never seen a written rule on how to switch from IFR -> VFR and vice versa.  Depending on where you're planning to fly, then there may be documentation on this such as here for the US (see 5-1-9):

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/chap5_section_1.html

Other than that, simply ask the controller and they should be able to cancel/activate an IFR section of your flight - just remember the airspace rules from #1 above

For touch and goes, you can either pop something in the remarks (although not every controller looks at those!) or file the airfield ICAO code in the route.  That should hopefully trigger something although you can simply state it on contact with the controller who's covering the approach segment to the airport in question.

3.  You can use a lettered callsign if you like - when you call up and use it with the callsign spelt out, the controller should hopefully remember the fact that you've used it that way.  Alternatively, you can always connect with and use your aircraft registration.   There's no need to create a VA just for yourself to use a "word" callsign.

Hope this helps

Trevor Hannant

John Stockton
Posted
Posted (edited)

"Class A airspace is generally the airspace from 18,000 feet mean sea level (MSL) up to and including flight level (FL) 600, including the airspace overlying the waters within 12 nautical miles (NM) of the coast of the 48 contiguous states and Alaska"

Going with what Trevor said, You can't do VFR at FL180 or above in the USA.

https://my.vatsim.net/learn/aviation-knowledge/section/9/page/7

Edited by John Stockton

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Matthew Sweeney
Posted
Posted

Riviere,

1. If you cancel IFR, the only way to get back into IFR is to refile a flight plan and receive a clearance from ATC. You must remain clear of controlled airspace until the new clearance is issued by ATC.

2. Regarding the long trip you mentioned, there could be times when you are not under ATC control (depending on airspace, controllers being online, and/or if you requested flight following or not). Therefore, when not under ATC control, you can do all the touch-n-go's you desire. Otherwise, just let ATC know what you want to do and they will assist.

3. If you cancel IFR and fly some of the route VFR, there is really no reason to go back to IFR unless there is a reason you cannot maintain VFR. If you are approaching your destination under VFR and desire to conduct an instrument approach just for the fun of it, just let ATC know when you check-in.

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

When flying outside the US, be aware that different countries have different restrictions on vfr flights. In Denmark we do not have class A airspace, but vfr flight are only to be conducted below FL200.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

David Bromage
Posted
Posted

Airliners do occasionally fly VFR in the real world, usually only non-revenue operations such as training flights and very short ferry flights. However on occasion some airliners have flown VFR from LAX to Victorville for storage.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, David Bromage said:

Airliners do occasionally fly VFR in the real world, usually only non-revenue operations such as training flights and very short ferry flights. However on occasion some airliners have flown VFR from LAX to Victorville for storage.

Actually, there are quite a few places where "airlines" (albeit usually with small aircraft) fly VFR. This is mainly island hopping to smaller places. But airline is airline, no matter how big your aircraft is.

RIVIERE Romain
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your answers! This is much clearer now and I will give it a try.

Cheers,

Romain