You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Workload of ATC Centers

Brian Correll

Brian Correll
Posted
Posted

Hello fellow VATSIM users,

I've been using VATSIM since 2017 and I have loved the experience. It's greatly helped me improve my skills as a real-life pilot and it helped me when I was working on my Instrument rating and even helped me to stay "current" during the pandemic. However lately, the number of pilots and the lack of controllers online has greatly hindered my experience on the network and others from what I can tell. 

During an event, there are usually multiple levels of controllers on to cover clearance delivery, ramp control, ground, tower, approach and departure, and even multiple sectors of center. This greatly reduces the stress and workload of the controllers and the pilots greatly. However, when there isn’t an event happening and we don’t have controllers that are signed up for positions for amounts of time, there is not enough coverage to reduce the workload of the controllers.

The main position that I have seen the most workload is center. If one person is on as a center controller, then they must cover ALL positions. Now this is something that the controller is aware of when they log on but lately, I have been seeing that this has resulted in prolonged wait times for an IFR, taxi, and take off clearances. This also results in more frustrated pilot and controllers.

My thought is that, just like real life, center controllers only cover a specific airspace from a flight level block and not the whole thing. This would make the experience for everyone better. I and my friends have waited for up to 20 minutes for a clearance before from a center controller because he had too many people coming in with requests. At that point, we just disconnected and flew offline because we couldn’t wait any longer.

Just some thoughts that I had to make the ATC experience on VATSIM even greater.

Thanks and take care.

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

That is already possible. GRP states that:

• 4.1 Graduated controller ratings are essential within the VATSIM on-line environment since on-line ATC shall provide a "top-down" service and whenever traffic load permits cover for any missing control positions beneath them; this applies to all control positions from CTR down.

So if you are too busy you can just ditch top-down service.

Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Brian Correll said:

The main position that I have seen the most workload is center. If one person is on as a center controller, then they must cover ALL positions. Now this is something that the controller is aware of when they log on but lately, I have been seeing that this has resulted in prolonged wait times for an IFR, taxi, and take off clearances. This also results in more frustrated pilot and controllers.

My thought is that, just like real life, center controllers only cover a specific airspace from a flight level block and not the whole thing. This would make the experience for everyone better. I and my friends have waited for up to 20 minutes for a clearance before from a center controller because he had too many people coming in with requests. At that point, we just disconnected and flew offline because we couldn’t wait any longer.

To add on to what Lars said - it is always the controller's responsibility to log on a sector that isn't busy, if the bigger sector becomes too busy. If one whole CTR position becomes too saturated to control, the controller should instead take on a smaller subsector or even log on an approach position only. 

C1-rated controller

Brian Correll
Posted
Posted

It may be possible, but there have been many times when a controller has been way too busy and he just allows himself to get behind. And I've had many times in Jacksonville center, where because the controller on center gets behind and starts getting frustrated at other pilots. I've never seen a controller leave top down service because he was too busy.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png