You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Integrating VPilot Into MSFS

Kristof Ferenczi

Kristof Ferenczi
Posted
Posted

Hello, 

Have we begun to consider integrating VPilot as an APP inside the sim? Similar to NavAid having their own app of charts added to the floating tool bar. Or NeoFly adding their own app to use as a flight map. Or is the client specifically more powerful and needs a standalone program to run? 

I figured it might be easier to have the in game floating tool bar bring up VPilot as an integrated program versus switching between windows to access it. 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Kristof Ferenczi said:

Or is the client specifically more powerful and needs a standalone program to run? 

It doesn't really work that way ... vPilot would use essentially the same amount of system resources (CPU and memory) whether it was a standalone app or built into the sim. And vPilot is a very lightweight application compared to the sim itself, of course.

The reason vPilot is a separate app is because it is written in a programming language that cannot be used to write "modules" that run inside the various sims that vPilot works with. (FSX, P3D, and MSFS.) Also, many people like to run vPilot on a separate computer.

So, no, I'm not considering making vPilot built into MSFS. It certainly could be done, but it's not something I'm interested in taking on.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

SaltLife
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

It doesn't really work that way ... vPilot would use essentially the same amount of system resources (CPU and memory) whether it was a standalone app or built into the sim. And vPilot is a very lightweight application compared to the sim itself, of course.

The reason vPilot is a separate app is because it is written in a programming language that cannot be used to write "modules" that run inside the various sims that vPilot works with. (FSX, P3D, and MSFS.) Also, many people like to run vPilot on a separate computer.

So, no, I'm not considering making vPilot built into MSFS. It certainly could be done, but it's not something I'm interested in taking on.

I gotcha, makes sense now!!!