You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How to specify a certain variant of an aircraft?

Maximilian Rettenbacher

Maximilian Rettenbacher
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi there,

when connecting to the Vatsim network via vPilot, you have to enter the ICAO designation (e.g. A320). How is it possible to then specify, what exact variant you are flying? For example, the A320 with winglets or without winglets. In Vatspy I can see that people somehow managed to connect as a A320/W or as an A320/A. How do I do that exactly? To my logic, the ICAO codes don't include certain variants. The pull down menu only allows to choose between an normal A320 and an A320 Prestige, no mention of winglets or anything.

Greetings.

Edited by Maximilian Rettenbacher

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

ICAO codes don't include variants.  The letter after the A relates to on board equipment. They may have pre-filed via Simbrief or the MyVatsim pre file page.

Trevor Hannant

Maximilian Rettenbacher
Posted
Posted (edited)

I see, thanks.

So it is not possible to tell vPilot that you are flying an A320 WITH winglets? Meaning the other players may see u as an A320 with a wingtip fence, depending on what their modelmatching rules.

Edited by Maximilian Rettenbacher

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

No, not possible I'm afraid

Trevor Hannant

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

The good news is: there are plans to have this piece of information included by model (not type!) specific codes that pilot clients will distribute to other players around you. swift pilot does it already, however these model specific codes will only be picked up by other pilots who use swift as well. Other pilot clients do not process this piece of information yet and simply use the ICAO type code that pilots set on the connect page of each pilot client.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs
Grammar

Maximilian Rettenbacher
Posted
Posted

Just saw the pinned post as well. Sounds great, definitely looking forward that!