You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Emergency landings

Finley Benson

Finley Benson
Posted
Posted

Are emergency landings allowed? For example bird strike, engine failure. I am aware hijackings are banned but are other sorts of emergencies allowed?

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

VATSIM Code of Conduct article B6:

No flight may declare itself to have priority over another. Pilots are permitted to declare in-flight emergencies only when under air traffic control. If, for any reason, air traffic control requests the pilot to terminate the emergency, then the pilot must do so IMMEDIATELY or disconnect from the network. Pilots are not permitted to simulate any unlawful act including, but not limited to, declaring a hijack by any method, including entering a transponder code of 7500.

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

So, in layman's terms: you can simulate an emergency, but when you do, ATC can ask you to terminate it, and that means you have to either "repair" your aircraft and continue normally, or disconnect from the network.

Some controllers will do their best to accommodate emergencies; some controllers will never accept emergencies ever. YMMV.

23.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I generally love emergencies.  They add realism to the whole simulation, and allow controllers and pilots to increase their skill level and further enjoy our aviation simulation. 

However, when you get someone during a major event with hundreds of arrivals and departures screaming "this is Air Force One, the plane is on fire, all seven engines have failed, we have no hydraulics, and are out of fuel!!!!!!!!!", guess what....  I'm going to tell you to disconnect. 

Your sim throws a failure -- and you calmly and professionally declare your emergency to ATC?  Absolutely, my pleasure.

You just took off 10 minutes ago, your significant other calls or comes over and says, "Hey, let's go get dinner" and you want to declare a medical emergency and return to your departure point so you can go out with your significant other?  Absolutely.  My pleasure.

Point is, of course, if you want to simulate an emergency, it's a reasonable time for workload, ATC has been trained and knows how to handle it, and you are professional about it, our community improves.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Finley Benson
Posted
Posted

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...
Malcolm Fernandez
Posted
Posted

Theirs two type of people who do maydays/Emergerncies

The air force one kid