You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First time here.

Charlie Holloway

Charlie Holloway
Posted
Posted

I went to fly for the first time and got scared to talk on ATC because of how fast they were speaking.

Any tips because I don't want to cause a disturbance.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Yes. Just say, "please speak slower." There is a rule about the speed of delivery of ATC communication but it seems that this rule is honoured more in it's breach than in it's observance.

• Like 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Charlie Holloway
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Alistair Thomson said:

Yes. Just say, "please speak slower." There is a rule about the speed of delivery of ATC communication but it seems that this rule is honoured more in it's breach than in it's observance.

im just pretty scared because i will feel like an idiot if i say something wrong,

what do you think the best airport to start at is?

Ken Doyen
Posted
Posted

Relax.  Everybody screws up.  Spend enough time on the network & you'll understand that no matter how bad u might screw up, there's always someone who does it worse.  Just part of the learning process.  Relax.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Charlie Holloway said:

im just pretty scared because i will feel like an idiot if i say something wrong,

what do you think the best airport to start at is?

One which has ATC online but not too much traffic.

Which one that is will change from hour to hour.  Use VAT-Spy or map.vatsim.net to see where at any given moment.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted

Hello @Charlie Holloway,

Some quick tips for you....

Start off by flying from lower volume airports that don't have ATC online. You can still tune the Unicom and talk on the radio which will help you practice aviation phraseology and procedures. If other pilots are at your airport at the same time, that's a great way to practice and learn. It will be a little more comfortable for you. Once you build confidence and you no longer stumble on the radio, move up to airports with more local traffic on the frequency. Eventually you'll fit right in at an airport that has ATC online.

Have patience and spend the time learning first. We'll see you at a major hub soon! 🙂

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Read through this topic: 

Lots of fun stories about how people first experienced their membership. A lot of people were scared. It's a normal part.

• Like 1

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC