You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

WHO TO CONTACT FOR CLEARANCE

JOHN MENENDEZ

JOHN MENENDEZ
Posted
Posted

Never been on Vatsim but haave been wanting to grow in simming.  I'm 72 y.o. and a former ATCr so alot has changed since 1981. I plan to file KBKV-KTLH in Fl.  If I file on Vatsim, who do I call?  KBKV has a tower but rarely on VATSIM.  Thanks!

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted

Hello John,

Your VATSIM client will show you which ATC facility is controlling your airport, if they are online at that time. You can also use the SimAware website or the VAT-Spy application. If a controller is online and covering the airport you are connected at, any controller role can provide clearances (VATSIM top-down model). If no controller is online at your airport, no need to call ATC. Just self-announce your intentions on the UNICOM frequency.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

To clarify -- I'd not say "any controller."  But specifically, if no GND or TWR for KBKV, Tampa Approach would inherit the duties of those positions, then Miami Center.  And yes, even though that airport is north of the border between Miami and Jacksonville ARTCC airspace, at the surface level that airport still belongs to Tampa TRACON which is part of ZMA.

EDIT: sorry, you said "any controller role," which is more accurate.  But still, it would have to be *certain* controllers at that role, and this airport happens to be one of those border cases where the appropriate Center to contact might be misleading.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr
clarifying my rebuttal
  • Thanks 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png