You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First VATSim flight -- question on "Cleared to land with option."

Gregory Steele

Gregory Steele
Posted
Posted

Greetings, I just took my first VATSim flight today. Just a few circuits around my hometown airport. The only controller online was at a Center, which by top-down default, I came under. The controller was very courteous and helpful to my "Rookie" mistakes, however he was also busy with other traffic. Consequently, I did not ask him questions as I should/would have. Upon entering my downwind leg for the circuits, he would give me an instruction something like: "cleared to land Rwy 35 with option." SO...my understanding is that it is mandatory to report all downwind and final positions.

Thus my question, does one need to report such positions after given a cleared to land on runway with options (touch and go or land)? I would think so, but then I do not know. I did provide my position (at least the final legs; albeit I forgot the some downwind legs). Also, does one just ask a question such as that over the radio when the controller is busy. There were breaks in the action so that I could ask, but I was nervous enough already.

Thanks,
Greg

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

The purpose of these in-circuit/pattern position reports is to give ATC an update on your location so that they can make decisions re what to do with you. So if on the downwind leg you're given clearance to land, you have no need to continue reporting. You just continue to touchdown as if your landing clearance had been given on final.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Gregory Steele
Posted
Posted

Thank you Alistair, that's really what I initially thought, but was not sure.

Claudiu Dragomir
Posted
Posted

Ditto Alistair: once you're cleared to join the circuit, you don't have to report your turns unless specifically asked to. At an uncontrolled field, ofcourse you do report each turn; you don't know when someone joins the frequency and how much they've heard.

As for asking questions on the frequency, I guess simple questions can be asked, for example: "confirm we don't need to report base?".

Longer questions, like "what is mach speed and why is it used?", are better kept for private messages or forums.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

"Cleared for the option" means you may perform a low approach (meaning, a low pass along the runway without actually touching it, similar to a go-around); a touch-and-go, a stop-and-go, or a full-stop followed by promptly vacating the runway.  Sometimes you hear "Cleared for the option, except stop-and-go unavailable."  That leaves the other three.  It is often considered courteous to let them know if you are planning a stop-and-go, since that generally requires you to occupy the runway for longer than the other three options -- but it's not explicitly required that you do so.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
On 8/22/2022 at 2:27 PM, Claudiu Dragomir said:

once you're cleared to join the circuit, you don't have to report your turns unless specifically asked to

I think that may depend on where you are flying. In the UK, for example, you can be asked to "join downwind for runway xx" but once joined, you still must announce positions, eg downwind, base, final unless otherwise instructed.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

James Ward
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Alistair Thomson said:

I think that may depend on where you are flying. In the UK, for example, you can be asked to "join downwind for runway xx" but once joined, you still must announce positions, eg downwind, base, final unless otherwise instructed.

It doesn’t surprise me to hear that different regulators for different countries/regions may have differing standards. I second Claudiu’s statements as correct procedure for the US however.

Gregory Steele
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all for enlightening me regarding response to ATC instruction. I will know how to respond the next time...although I might require clarification or brushing up on terminology should I fly circuits in the UK.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gregory Steele said:

clarification or brushing up on terminology should I fly circuits in the UK.

Your source is CAP413. Available online. Similar, generally, throughout the ICAO world. Each locality has its own standard phraseology document and FAA has theirs, somewhere, although it seems that local vernacular in FAA-land often takes precedence in practice. I suppose that comes from the European demands for rigour whereas in the USA folks like to be more relaxed.

Alistair Thomson

===