You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Questions About Radio

Gary Reed

Gary Reed
Posted
Posted

So, I was on the ramp at KCPK, Chesapeake Regional. I  finally was able to connect xPlane to Vatsim. My nearby ATC showed only Boston ARTCC online. I transmitted numerous times and no reply. My PTT button was assigned on my yoke correctly and device configured hear and talk correctly for my headset.

Was I just out of his coverage or must I get airborne? Please enlighten me. 

Thanks.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

KCPK is over 250 miles from Boston Center's border.  They could not hear you, nor would you ever call Boston Center for anything while on the ground at Chesapeake.  You'd only call the following for ATC out of Chesapeake:

CPK_TWR, CPK_GND, CPK_DEL (Chesapeake ATCT positions)

ORF_APP (Norfolk Approach)

DC_CTR (Washington Center)

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Gary Reed
Posted
Posted

Yes. Later I set myself up at my home field, KSEG, Selinsgrove Pennsylvania. To my surprise there Boston, New York, and Cleveland were staffed and Harrisburg approach with coverege for LNS, Reading, and ATIS loop for MDT and CXY. I did a short VFR to MDT. I am glad there is a controller in my region.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Additionally, KCPK is not a Towered field, so there would be no Local positions (DEL / GND / TWR) there.

On VATSIM to operate at KCPK you'd use the VATSIM "universal" CTAF of 122.800 (despite 123.075 being the correct one in the real world there).  If needing VFR Flight Following or an IFR clearance, Don is correct that ORF_APP would be choice one, and if they aren't online it would then be handled by DC_CTR.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Gary Reed
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Additionally, KCPK is not a Towered field, so there would be no Local positions (DEL / GND / TWR) there.

On VATSIM to operate at KCPK you'd use the VATSIM "universal" CTAF of 122.800 (despite 123.075 being the correct one in the real world there).  If needing VFR Flight Following or an IFR clearance, Don is correct that ORF_APP would be choice one, and if they aren't online it would then be handled by DC_CTR.

At that particular time only Boston was active. It would be nice if there were more controllers to be able to cover really busy centers like Potomac and Atlanta. Especially Atlanta consider busy Hartsfield.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I think you should check more in the evenings.  Not all of us are retired.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Oops!  I suppose I should have checked that (or remembered, as I did fly in and out of there once many moons ago)!  

:sheepish grin:

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Gary Reed
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Actually, I did dial in Unicom for take off. Once airborn I tried raising Boston several time going north. I ended up kicking im the crappy XP ATC for vector/clearance for CXY. I use MCE with native ATC in P3D. Don't think switching off would be hard there.