You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Noisy room while using VATSIM

• mic
  • microsoft flight sim 2020

Yassin Abdelhamid

Yassin Abdelhamid
Posted
Posted

Hey there!

I've recently started doing small VFR circuits in VATSIM, and I'm planning on going for an IFR flight. My only question is:

- I generally stay in a room where it might be a bit noisy (people talking in the background), so I do not know if it's allowed to use VATSIM while in a bit of a noisy room, as I don't always have an option where I could be in a completely quite room. I try to not ruin the experience as much as I can, so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Yassin.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

As long as you can be understood while talking to air traffic controllers or other pilots, I do not see a problem with this. Some people are unintelligible, because they seem to have lawn mowers or vacuum cleaners operating right next to them, but a bit of background noise should not be a problem. It may depend on the type of microphone that you are using: some of them pick up a lot of background noise, others less.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs
typing error
  • Like 1

Yassin Abdelhamid
Posted
Posted

Yes, most of the time it, my voice would be very understandable. I really appreciate your reply, thank you very much.

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

The best thing you can do is use a headset, the noise will be far more noticeable to others on frequency if you're using a microphone built into a laptop or a desktop based microphone.

• Like 1

Trevor Hannant

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted

Trevor has an excellent idea for your situation.

Headsets typically have what's called a unidirectional microphone that is very good at picking up just your voice and not unwanted background sounds.

I've heard pilots on frequency that had a small amount of background activity (family, etc) and it wasn't distracting to me. Be sure to speak clearly into the mic and you should be fine.

Yassin Abdelhamid
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Trevor Hannant said:

The best thing you can do is use a headset, the noise will be far more noticeable to others on frequency if you're using a microphone built into a laptop or a desktop based microphone.

Yes, I do use a headset, which has decent audio sound, but not it's not very good with removing background noise. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

Yassin Abdelhamid
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Tim Waldon said:

Trevor has an excellent idea for your situation.

Headsets typically have what's called a unidirectional microphone that is very good at picking up just your voice and not unwanted background sounds.

I've heard pilots on frequency that had a small amount of background activity (family, etc) and it wasn't distracting to me. Be sure to speak clearly into the mic and you should be fine.

Roger! I'll try my best to configure my headset mic as to not pickup as much background noise as possible, as my mic is not very good with removing outside noise. Thank you!

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Make sure you go through the mic calibration process on whatever pilot client you are using.  That can also have an impact on the sensitivity and noise cancellation ability.

Andrew

• Like 1

Ryan Bentley
Posted
Posted

I would recommend downloading Nvidia Broadcast - it's so effective that you can have speakers blasting music out and nobody will hear it coming through on your microphone.

NVIDIA Broadcast App: AI-Powered Voice and Video | NVIDIA

• Like 1
Ryan Bentley
VATSIM Senior Developer
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Yassin Abdelhamid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Andrew McCabe said:

Make sure you go through the mic calibration process on whatever pilot client you are using.  That can also have an impact on the sensitivity and noise cancellation ability.

Andrew

Will make sure to do that, thanks!

Yassin Abdelhamid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Ryan Bentley said:

I would recommend downloading Nvidia Broadcast - it's so effective that you can have speakers blasting music out and nobody will hear it coming through on your microphone.

NVIDIA Broadcast App: AI-Powered Voice and Video | NVIDIA

I've heard about Nvidia Broadcast, only problem is that I don't have an RTX graphics card, but a Quadro Nvidia GPU. I've tried using the voice one only (works with non-RTX GPUs), but it just removed my headset from the computer, and won't let the computer detect it anymore.

I'll see if I can fix it, thank you very much.