You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Configuring cockpit views

Michael Garrett

Michael Garrett
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi, is there a way to set xplane to be able to hide the panel view and show just the scenery outside the screen like a window? Same question for msfs2020. I've been away from simming for many years and am out of touch with the new products. 🤓🤷🙂

Note that I don't have either yet. I'm just curious. 

Edited by Michael Garrett

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

There may be a panel.cfg file which allows you to define how the various panels appear. This, if it exists, will be editable in a text processor. That was the case with fs9 and fsx but I have no clue about MSFS or others. Still, I'm sure all sims have some way of defining the content of the displayed panels. The trick is in accessing these and modifying them. 

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted

In X-Plane, there is a good selection of pre-configured views available. For an outside view with no instrument panel (like looking out a window), there is a view option called "forward with nothing". You'll only see the scenery in front of you. I don't use MSF2020, so I'm not familiar with their views.

Welcome back to flight simming!

• Like 1

Sebastian Crane
Posted
Posted

You can do this in FlightGear by pressing the 'c' key (lowercase). This hides the entire aircraft from sight until you switch to a different view mode. Helpful for following taxiway centre markings 🙂