You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Operation Deep Freeze 2022-2023

Sean Peterson

Sean Peterson
Posted
Posted

ALCON,

I would like to invite all of the Vatsim Special Operations(VSO) groups to Operation Deep Freeze this year. Operation Deep Freeze involves VSO forces providing operational and logistical support of the National Science Foundation(NSF) scientific research activities in Antarctica. Christchurch International Airport, New Zealand, is the staging point for deployments to McMurdo Station, Antarctica, a key research and operations facility.

This is a massive logistical undertaking, involving long range transport and cargo aircraft, shorter range turbo props as well as helicopter operations.
ATC coverage will be provided by VATNZ https://www.vatnz.net/.

This operation is open to all VSO's and all most simulator platforms. FSX,FSX-SE, P3D, Xplane and MSFS.

This years operational dates are as follows.
Deploy – November 1 
Winfly – November 27th – December 24th
Mainbody – December 25th – January 22nd
Redeployment January 23rd – February 5th
More information to follow.

The event Discord link is
https://discord.gg/CKGhd7VcpT

I hope everyone can make plans to attend.

Sincerely,

William Friedman, vGen, vUSAF A1000I
Chief of Staff

Sean Peterson
Director of Special Operations
VATSIM
s.peterson(at)vatsim.net

• 2 weeks later...
Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Does this mean only VSO members can fly this time?

23.png

Will Friedman
Posted
Posted

Most flights are operated by military aircraft. The most common models used are US Air Force C-130 and C-17 military transport planes, ski-equipped Hercules LC-130H, De Havilland Twin Otters, and Basler BT-67s. As such this event is restricted to members of the VSOA community.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

I disagree, the VSO policy does not prohibit a member from flying A to B in a military aircraft with a military call sign, where the airports are civil airports, in the case of NZCH and McMurdo.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Sean Peterson
Posted
Posted
On 11/4/2022 at 11:10 PM, Kirk Christie said:

I disagree, the VSO policy does not prohibit a member from flying A to B in a military aircraft with a military call sign, where the airports are civil airports, in the case of NZCH and McMurdo.

While you are correct that the VSO policy does not prohibit a member from flying A to B in a military aircraft with a military call sign, where the airports are civil airports, in the case of NZCH and McMurdo, it does prohibit non-VSO pilots from participating in a VSO sponsored exercise.

Sean Peterson
Director of Special Operations
VATSIM
s.peterson(at)vatsim.net