You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Am I doing this correctly ?

Benjamin Landron

Benjamin Landron
Posted
Posted

Greetings everyone, I recently started flying VFR on VATSIM using MS2020 and I really want to use the system correctly. Question: When I am trying to contact the controllers at the airports in Class D or Class C which is the only controlled airspace I have been in so far, I have not been able to contact them. My headset IS working as I am receiving and transmitting. I am in active ATC according to the VATSPY (inside the blue boundaries) Do I use the actual frequencies on the sectional or AFD or do I use the frequencies shown on the VATSIM pop up box when I connect? I know the controllers work from the top down so If there are no CLR DELV, GRND, TWR controllers at the airport I am at will I still receive ATC? Which frequencies do I use. Any help greatly appreciated. I am a real world Private Pilot VFR for many years. Have not used the ATC system as much as I should so I look forward to doing it on VATSIM. For the record, I have to admire the incredible amount of professionalism I have heard so far from all the pilots and controllers. I envy your skills and hope to become as proficient using the system as you all seem to be. It's funny how trying to get it right on VATSIM gives me the same sweaty PTT button finger I get when talking to ATC when I actually fly. I love the realism. Thanks to all.

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

When you say "VATSIM pop up box," are you referring to the pilot client you're using to connect to the network, such as vPilot or XPilot?

5 hours ago, Benjamin Landron said:

Do I use the actual frequencies on the sectional or AFD or do I use the frequencies shown on the VATSIM pop up box when I connect?

This is a good question and it depends on the staffing and how the controller has their frequencies set up. Most pilots will typically call using the frequency that is displayed on their pilot client. Controllers do have the ability to utilize multiple frequencies so if you're at a Class D and someone is staffing that tower, e.g. DBQ_TWR, they may also be using the published Ground and Clearance Delivery frequencies, in which case you would indeed want to call them on the charted frequency. When I fly out of a staffed Class D airport, I always call CD or Ground on the respective frequency just in case the controller has those transceivers up and then only call on tower if I don't hear anything after a couple tries.

If you're calling the overlying Approach or Center controller who is providing top-down service to that airport, though, you'll likely just want to call them up on whatever frequency that is associated with them on the pilot client. It's also a good idea to check their controller info and ATIS because some controllers and some facilities will publish airports that they cover and the proper frequency on which to call them.

Benjamin Landron
Posted
Posted

Yes! The "Pop Up Box" I refer to is the pilot client, I guess. Thanks so much for the reply. You answered my questions and now I will know what to do hopefully. See you in the air!

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dustin Rider said:

Controllers do have the ability to utilize multiple frequencies so if you're at a Class D and someone is staffing that tower, e.g. DBQ_TWR, they may also be using the published Ground and Clearance Delivery frequencies

Is that not against 4.2 in the ATC Frequency and Information Management Policy? 

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

Surprisingly, it is Alistair. I'm having trouble reconciling why a very common practice utilized in the real world is banned on a network that has gone to some pretty incredible lengths to simulate the real thing.