You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What are your 3 reasons

Michael Garrett

Michael Garrett
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you use x plane 11/12 : what 3 reasons cause you to choose x plane? reasons being maybe a certain feature, something you like, a design interest etc

Same question for Fs2020 users! 😎🙂🤓

Edited by Michael Garrett
  • Like 1

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

MSFS2020: global 3-D ortho without having to learn a complicated add-on which will download massive amounts of proprietary imagery and government terrain data then spend 10 minutes per 1x1 tile to build a flat facsimile with some auto-generated buildings on it.

I love X-Plane and I love Ortho4XP but I'm not sad to be done with the scenery building process.

• Like 2

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

John Stockton
Posted
Posted (edited)

XPlane:

1. Clean install. Doesn't get spreadout through Windows filing system. All contained in the Folder you specify.

2. Faster frame speeds with my limited computer specs.

3. Just "feels" more realistic (for now). I think MSFS is catching up.

4. Current Airac's are free for the USA and easily install into XP.

5. User Interface is easier. Doesn't take nearly as long to change (I own both XP and MSFS).

Edited by John Stockton
  • Like 2

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

I have only two main reasons. 1. I use MSFS2020 for low VFR flights where I want more eye candy. and 2. I use X-Plane for the big jets for better flight characteristics (can't see much from 38,000 feet anyway). Horses for course really😉.

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

X-Plane 12:

• MSFS does not support my operating system 😄 (and I was not adventurous enough for FlightGear).
  • I like the ecosystem. Kind of like a bee hive...
  • Many possibilities to interface with it and build stuff.

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

There is only one reason I chose XP11,  and that is because it is the only flight sim that will run on Linux.

I have no experience with other sims so cant really make any comparison,  I didn't really fancy having a windows partition just so I could run FSX or MSFS.

I am very happy with XP11 and don't think I would change,  with XP12 now released I think its starting to catch up graphics wise,  and there are plenty of great custom scenery packs to make up for the not that great graphics that previous versions of XP had to offer anyway. I have heard that the flight models are more accurate too, which is very important to me,  realism is what its all about.

Sebastian Crane
Posted
Posted

@John McMurdo, I saw your post having just written a post on a different thread about how I use FlightGear for VATSIM on Linux:

Michael Flemming Hansen
Posted
Posted

I have both MSFS2020 and XP11 and even though I have gotten a reasonable quality pack of planes (Fenix, FBW, iniB A310 (Yes, I am an Airbus man)), I still tend to go back to XP11. The reasons are:

1: The ecosystem is more clean and easier to navigate.

2: The camerasystem actually works. I will never be good friends with the MSFS camera, unless they make it more like XP. It is so sluggish and un-intuitive. 

3: Even the vanilla airports are better than the msfs ones. I mean, why are most of my airports pitch black even at the gates? XP has really gotten an advantage by allowing the community to create airports (and other scenery) through a relatively simple tool.

4: And with my 1070 Ti, I get way better frames with XP11 than MSFS.

5: I really enjoy my ToLiss planes. Especially the A346. 

I would like to point out that I am running XP11 with xE. I would probably be a lot less happy with XP11 with just the vanilla weather/clouds. 

./Michael