You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can my friend join me as a "co-pilot" without msfs?

Daniel OConnell

Daniel OConnell
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone, I've recently started flying on vatsim and I love it so far, my friend is also keen to get into this but at the moment, he is unable to afford flight sim. I was wondering if there was a way he could still connect to the network to handle radio comms whilst I screen share flying in msfs? I'm assuming this is probably not possible. But if there is any way to do this, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

I like this idea!

Of course the easiest (and probably most fun) would be if you are together in the same room 😉 .

Audio for VATSIM needs to have your position and that is only possible with a flight sim or as an active controller.

Then I have an idea that your friend could connect to Audio for VATSIM but that would mean sharing your login which is most probably not OK by the code of conduct so I am not going into details.

Another idea would be using a tool that allows remote control (like TeamViewer). So your friend could use the push-to-talk key remotely. Changing frequencies could be done via keyboard, too.
You would need to get your audio client to receive audio input from your friend (from TeamSpeak, Discord, Skype, IP-telephone, ...). I could only tell you how I would do that in Linux and I don't know about audio routing possibilities in other operating systems.

Daniel OConnell
Posted
Posted
On 11/8/2022 at 5:43 PM, Jonas Eberle said:

I like this idea!

Of course the easiest (and probably most fun) would be if you are together in the same room 😉 .

Audio for VATSIM needs to have your position and that is only possible with a flight sim or as an active controller.

Then I have an idea that your friend could connect to Audio for VATSIM but that would mean sharing your login which is most probably not OK by the code of conduct so I am not going into details.

Another idea would be using a tool that allows remote control (like TeamViewer). So your friend could use the push-to-talk key remotely. Changing frequencies could be done via keyboard, too.
You would need to get your audio client to receive audio input from your friend (from TeamSpeak, Discord, Skype, IP-telephone, ...). I could only tell you how I would do that in Linux and I don't know about audio routing possibilities in other operating systems.

The third option you mentioned is a really good idea! Definitely going to try it out sometime and see if it works, in theory there is no reason why it shouldn't. Thanks for your help!