You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flight sim on a laptop

Dale Johnson

Dale Johnson
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

I’m looking to get back into flight sim full time soon however don’t have the space for a computer. Been looking at some laptops but not sure whether I could comfortable run flight sim 2020 or fsx on any of the specs below, anyone able to help? 

Laptop 1 -

• AMD Ryzen 5 - 3500U processor. 
  • Quad core processor. 
  • 2.1GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 3.7GHz. 
  • 8GB RAM DDR4. 
  • 256GB SSD storage.
  • AMD Radeon Vega 8 .

laptop 2- 

• Intel Core i3 - 1115G4 processor. 
  • Dual core processor. 
  • with a burst speed of 4.1GHz. 
  • 4GB RAM DDR4. 
  • 128GB SSD storage
  • Intel UHD Graphics

I know it won’t get the best FPS.

Any help would be great 

Thanks 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't believe it will run at all on the intel UHD graphics. Not sure about the other one, I don't know much about AMD hardware.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Dale Johnson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

I don't believe it will run at all on the intel UHD graphics. Not sure about the other one, I don't know much about AMD hardware.

Thanks Ross. I’ve just been looking around and think you are right about the Intel graphics. Will try find something else 

Duncan Hill
Posted
Posted

Save up money buddy and sell some stuff or ask mates for cash. The crazy crap that I use to sell online for cash to buy my laptop like seeds from butternut squash. Or if you own a car/moped, do Uber deliveries or something and use all the saved up cash for a fantastic laptop. 

Dale Johnson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Duncan Hill said:

Save up money buddy and sell some stuff or ask mates for cash. The crazy crap that I use to sell online for cash to buy my laptop like seeds from butternut squash. Or if you own a car/moped, do Uber deliveries or something and use all the saved up cash for a fantastic laptop. 

Thanks Duncan, I am going to do that I think, no point wasting money now. Just got to be a little more patience 😂

Sebastian Crane
Posted
Posted

Ah, but you can always try FlightGear in the meantime 😀  I have a similar processor to your second laptop's on, and I get 15 frames per second or so. That's perfectly playable, and frame rate is hardly noticeable anyway when you're cruising up at FL300! Although I've never played Microsoft FSX, from what I've seen from YouTube videos and the like, it should have about the same nominal performance as FlightGear.