You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Asking for some protips

Stefan Hoks

Stefan Hoks
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Flying a couple of years on VATSIM I gathered some questions I never really asked. So... If anyone has some tips or tricks I would be very thankfull!

1. On arrival to KTEB today I came from the NorthEast (see attachment). There are only 3 STARS from the south, west and northwest, so I filed the northwest LVZ.LVZ4 arrival with the ILS 19 approach (trans STRAD). But by folowing this route I would add 100 nm to my trip. Luckily the controller vectored me straight to the ILS approach. But I wonder, what do you guys file when there is no acceptable STAR from your direction? And what do you expect for the arrival? Is it possible to NOT file a STAR, just an approach?

I prefer to use as many existing airways as possible and not to many directs. Thats why I really didn't like the approach to KTEB (attachment). The STAR is not even close to my flightroute and the ILS approach doesn't connect to the STAR. I had to improvise from JEFFF to the LVZ entry waypoint, which was not very efficiënt. What do you guys do in situations like this, and do you have any tips for this specific arrival/approach?

2. Besides Hoppie ACARS, EasyCPDLC and the Dalpi CPDLC AOC-Client, are there any other CPDLC/ACARS clients around? Unfortunately I can't make EasyCPDLC and the Dalpi client work and the Hoppie ACARS is a bit old and complicated. I'm looking for a clean and simple CPDLC client, any tips?

3. Can you make sure that your SELCAL code is unique and not used by another pilot on the same freq? Or will this nog give any issues?

4.  When getting a RNAV approach assigned to a rwy that also has an ILS approach, can I use the ILS freq and glideslope to make it a precision approach and use the ILS minimums? Or should I stick to the non-precision RNAV approach? 

Thats about it. Thanks a lot!

Stefan.

Approach to KTEB.PNG

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted

what do you guys file when there is no acceptable STAR from your direction? And what do you expect for the arrival? Is it possible to NOT file a STAR, just an approach?

(a) For destination KTEB, consider Flightaware IFR Route Analyzer.

Examples "from the Northeast"
From KBOS, file: BLZZR5 BLZZR BAF MOBBS SAGES V489 COATE
From KPWM: HSKEL3 HANAA ALB V489 COATE
From KACK: MVY V146 BAF MOBBS T295 SAGES V489 COATE

Yes, it is possible to not file a STAR.
But an 'approach' is not filed (in a flight plan);  an IAF or approach transition waypoint, etc. may be in a flight plan routing.
For KTEB, some runways have an approach which may be joined as illustrated after COATE  (RNAV (GPS) Y RWY 6, RNAV (RNP) Z RWY 19) ; or expect vectors, or direct to an IAF, etc.

Since question 1 does not say, what is the departure airport? What is the aircraft type?
(b) For example, Virtual NY ARTCC website includes a Preferred Route Search (destination KTEB), here.

When getting a RNAV approach assigned to a rwy that also has an ILS approach, can I use the ILS freq and glideslope to make it a precision approach and use the ILS minimums?

Pilots are expected to fly the approach that ATC has cleared (assigned).
If an ILS approach is preferred, request clearance for an ILS approach.

• Thanks 1

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Stefan Hoks said:

On arrival to KTEB today I came from the NorthEast (see attachment). There are only 3 STARS from the south, west and northwest, so I filed the northwest LVZ.LVZ4 arrival with the ILS 19 approach (trans STRAD). But by folowing this route I would add 100 nm to my trip. Luckily the controller vectored me straight to the ILS approach. But I wonder, what do you guys file when there is no acceptable STAR from your direction? And what do you expect for the arrival? Is it possible to NOT file a STAR, just an approach?

Maybe check what people file in the real world? A quick way is to use Flightaware's route-search: https://flightaware.com/analysis/route.rvt
I entered KBOS-KTEB as route and as you can see, all routes avoid the northern part of New York, because of regulations. I also tried something across the North Atlantic, EGGW-KTEB and those routes all aim in from the North as well, via ALB: ALB V489 AGNEZ V489 COATE. From COATE you can vector yourself to the beginning of one of instrument approach procedures, ILS06, ILS19 etc.. When ATC is online, they will instruct you to go to one of the points.

Oh, an DCT-segments are becoming more and more normal. Just research some routes across the USA (see link above). Same is now in Europe with more and more countries introducing FRA (Free Route Airspace = no more airways = file DCT from entry waypoint to FIR to desired exit waypoint of FIR).

Besides Hoppie ACARS, EasyCPDLC and the Dalpi CPDLC AOC-Client, are there any other CPDLC/ACARS clients around? Unfortunately I can't make EasyCPDLC and the Dalpi client work

I also do have the AOC Client (=D-ALPI) working nicely on my machine. Did you try installing the program with our Quick Starter document?

When getting a RNAV approach assigned to a rwy that also has an ILS approach, can I use the ILS freq and glideslope to make it a precision approach and use the ILS minimums? Or should I stick to the non-precision RNAV approach?

You fly the approach that is instructed. If you prefer another one, request it from ATC: "[pilot CALLSIGN], request ILS approach runway XY".

EDIT: I see that Mike (ATP rated IRL pilot as well) was faster than me. He flies around New York for real and has more accurate information.

• Like 1

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Andreas.
Stefan, in case related tip might be useful for KTEB (rw), ILS 6 circle-to-land Runway 1 is ... common.
... perhaps the same, in VATSIM?

Edited by Mike Sweeney

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Stefan Hoks
Posted
Posted

Thanks! I didn't consider real life routes yet, definitely giving that a shot! The screenshot is from a EGPF - KTEB route.

The reason for the question about RNAV/ILS approach: From LVZ.LVZ4 STAR Navigraph Charts only gives the RNAV-approaches as an option. The ILS  isn't "connected" to the LVZ.LVZ4 STAR, which made me question if it's valid for this specific route. But since skipping the LVZ.LVZ4 and vectoring to the entry of the RNAV waypoint isn't a problem, I persume that's okay. 

I've never flown a circle to land approach, I'll look into that!

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted (edited)

.... Charts only gives the RNAV-approaches as an option.

3 approaches listed .... which have STW transition:

stw.jpg
Navigraph

The ILS  isn't "connected" to the LVZ.LVZ4 STAR, which made me question if it's valid for this specific route.

An ILS is available for aircraft on the LVZ4 arrival, and the approach chart indicates what to expect: "radar vectors".

lvz4.jpg

Edited by Mike Sweeney
[copyright]
  • Thanks 1

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

• 2 weeks later...
Mike Teague
Posted
Posted

as others have mentioned. i file to a feeder or iaf (for the approach that makes the most sense at the time) if there is no star