You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New member, need some help :D

James Irvine 998036

James Irvine 998036
Posted
Posted

Hi all and thanks for having me. I have used vatsim but it was years ago. I notice now that the Visual Display is a java applet. I much prefered the stand-alove version that worked independantly and didn't take forever to load whilst running x-plane so you could get an idea of traffic and ATC's straight away. Can you still download that program, I have no recollection of what it was called. It looked exactly like the "Visual display" but wasn't java, it was its own little program.

My friend and I signed up today, using x-sqwarkbox. Unfortunately, we couldn't hear each others voices, and wouldn't even appear in "show who's online", but we could still see each other. Why?

When we connected, we connected to the Melbourne server (Aus) should we have connect to the voice server? I simply don't remember. I've had voice working before.

Well, thankyou for the help, and thanks for having myself and my friend in your excellent community.

Appreciate any help or suggestions.

Best Regards,

James.

http://42labs.co.nr

Daniel Hill 810430
Posted
Posted

Respectfully,

Daniel Hill 810430

[Just Plain Ole' Dan]

Robert Smith 922489
Posted
Posted

I"ve been a vatsim member for a couple of years but only recently started to really get into it.

I recomend servinfo but i have no clue how to tun it on the same maching that your running x-plane on. I use it on a laptop that i set next to me when I fly on line. I'ts really handy to be able to see when atc pops up or where other aircraft are, includig ones sitting on the ground with there transponders in standy that don't show on a tcas screen.

The "show who's online" works for nearby atc and will show there frequency but I don't know if it works for nearby aircraft. As far as talking to other aircraft realize that unicom "122.80" is not a vioce channel. Most of the atc channels are voice but they will probably not apreciate you mucking up there channels talking to your buddy. Remember that you have to tune your radio the listed frequency of that channel. I've heard talk of private voice channels but I have no idea how to do that or what the frequency might be. One thing you can try is the x-plane.org server in teamspeak.

Good luck

James Irvine 998036
Posted
Posted

Hehe yes it is servinfo. Thankyou for your help!

Thanks for the teamspeak advice, I've got it setup now, thats great.

When I press my "Press to talk key" for sqwarkbox to talk to the ATC, It usually makes a horrible grinding and beep noise, should this be so? I will find a lone ATC and request some [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance shortly. Don't want to deafen him with scramble high pitch signal

Thanks for the linking me to servinfo gents, great stuff!

Regards,

James.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

James,

Did you get your voice issues fixed yet?

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles