You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Extreemly confused.

Josh Petryk 921987

Josh Petryk 921987
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey all, this is my first time here. I've throughly read the PRC but I have one simple question: how does one actually "connect to vatsim"? I'm running servinfo, RW, sbhost, and the SB main program but I can't push the connect button on SBhost(edit) because it says that I must first be connected to a vatsim server....

After completing the flightplan:

· On the Squawkbox menu, select “Squawk Standbyâ€

Edited by Guest

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM Captain Josh Petryk !

Maybe I have difficult to see your problem.

> how does one actually "connect to vatsim"?

In Squawkbox menu (=right mouse) -> Connect.

Remarks:

If "Connect" is disabled it mean you are allready connected. If "Disconnect" is disabled it mean you are not connected.

Connection will result that you acctually appear at Vatsim, ATC and other pilots will see you.

Servinfo has nothing with your connection and nothing with your flying to do, it's a separated tool to see ATC etc. on the network.

The PRC try to tell you that you should prepare your position and flightplan etc. and then connect , however "Resend Flight Plan" must be executed after connect to take action.

> I can't push the connect button on vatsim because it says that I might first be connected to a vatsim server

This is what I don't understand. "connect button on vatsim" what button is this and when/where does it appear described step-by-step ?

> Am I not "connected" when I run squawkbox and click "connect"?

Yes you are connected when you click "connected" in Squawkbox menu (=right mouse) -> Connect, if the menu item "connected" goes disabled you succed connect.

Before this it is a procedure to "join" enter callsignal ect. to estable contact with Vatsim, but "Connect to VATSIM " is the decribed above.

The voice application AVC (not needed to fly, only needed for voice) can say "You must first be connected to Vatsim", is this your issue ?

Common problem and some tip Troubleshooting at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=2262#2262

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

If it is the AVC issue, AVC needs to connect to 2 servers. the voice server and a vatsim server. It also needs your exact and corret Callsign you are using... Also note that if the Vatsim server the AVC on is different to the vatsim server SB is on it will sometimes have a delay from you connecting SB and to the AVC being able to "see" your login.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Josh Petryk 921987
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the response. I'll try to clarify.

In SBhost I right click and get the main menu. I click on the "connect" item but I get an error message saying something like "callsign not found! You must first log on to vatsim"

Which is odd because I thought thats what the connect button is supposed to be doing? It may be a firewall issue, I'm going to try something later and I'll keep you updated.

Richard Critz
Posted
Posted

Get connected without voice first. That will insure that you can actually connect to VATSIM. Once you've successfully got that working, integrate voice. Do not try to do both at once or you are asking for confusion.

Richard Critz

VP/Development (VATSIM26/VATGOV5)

VATSIM Board of Governors

VATSIM Network Team