You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A few ideas

Brian Beach 915973

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted

- An option to view all controllers and/or pilots online

- An option to view all friends (whether online or not), so we can edit them as needed

- A way to see all observers online

Also, I have been trying to have SIDs/STARs on the routes, but it does not recognize them. This would be a great addition to vroute in the future.

Sorry to seem so demanding!

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

- All controllers / all pilots - unpractical due to chosen technology (displaying 700 entries with javascript/IE would take ages).

- All friends - good idea, not sure when i will have time for that.

- All observers - see #1

SIDs/STARs are not recognized on the maps, but if they follow standard ICAO naming (3-5 letters + number + letter) they will be silently ignored.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted
SIDs/STARs are not recognized on the maps, but if they follow standard ICAO naming (3-5 letters + number + letter) they will be silently ignored.

In the US, we only have '3-5 letters + number' SIDs/STARs (ex. POLAR2, MIZAR3, RID1).

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Please email me a sample route at [email protected] and I will fix the verification routine.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Menno Alting 897707
Posted
Posted

Hi Michal,

First of, thanks for this great program. I see that a lot of simmers gonna enjoy it.

But i have some questions/ideas.

Only if possible:

In the profile of the ATC or pilot, a change to see his/her callsign.

An part where i can easely type in the ICAO and find out what airport it is.

In the online section, its imho a bit confusing, al the arrivals. overflyers and departers in 2 lists. Is there a way to seperate this more, say divid it up to 3 rows.

Best regards

Menno

Cobra ready to strike

1243.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

The callsign is visible in the ATC/pilot profile - i'm really surprised with this question

It is not arrivals, overflyes and departers mixed in 2 lists - read the manual please. On the left you see people who are in the given sector, and on the right those who will be there in the future.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Menno Alting 897707
Posted
Posted

thanks, but i couldnt download the manual, because the website is currently down.

As for the callsign. I see the callsign indeed maybe i was a bit unclear about that. But thats the ICAO callsign (example BAW123) But i meant, as an option to see the full callsign (example Speedbird123)

Menno

Cobra ready to strike

1243.png

Nigel Bovey 950713
Posted
Posted

Maybe I missed something with this new route database addition idea, but is it restricted to at least people who have an S1 or S3 maybe? I ask because if you've ever worked a DEL or above position in your life, you know you don't want people having the ability to enter in their own routes, it's just a nightmare waiting to happen. Lets take a look at an example, someone here on the boards posted that they could not find KLAX-KSFO, which is a fairly common route (check out www.simroutes.com) it gets hit a lot.

The route in the database of Vroute now is

VTU.RZS.J501.BSR.CARME.ANJEE.SKUNK.BOLDR.MENLO

which in itself isn't bad, because it's the points in the SID/STAR listed out, and if you look at the correct route

VTU5.RZS.J501.BSR.BSR2

There isn't a great deal of difference, but there really is an astronomical amount of information missing from the first route that is not provided in the database. SIDs/STARs are not just waypoints, and we all know that. They contain a lot of incredibly important information that pilots NEED to know about the departure and arrival procedures.

Which leads back to the original question, can anyone just add routes? If so can that be restricted to at least people who have controller cerfitications? Even limit it to C1's, just so the database doesn't get full of junk that will in turn be presented to the controllers as an approved route. Now we'd like to believe that we live in a world with capable pilots, but the truth is for every capable pilot on the network, theres 10 that have no clue, and thats fine because everyones gotta start somewhere, but should those 10 be allowed to submit new routes to a globally accessible database? Heck no! I don't know why you just didn't try to work something out with simroutes.com for providing routing information, maybe you did?

I tried to modify the route from KLAX to KSFO to add in the stars (as you said it would be silently ignored) but it came up and said the VTU5 and BSR2 were not valid waypoints/airways. I then tried to go for VTU5.RZS incase you were looking for the SID/STAR connection and got an

"Error fetching data from server: 500 invalid route field contents"

Secondly, NOTAMS:

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume this is just not implemented mainly, since if you pick KLAX to KSFO, then request notam information it says "KLAX is not covered by EUroute NOTAM Center" and additional messages for KZLA/KZOA/KSFO

lastly..

Can you add an option to disable the sound please?

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted
As for the callsign. I see the callsign indeed maybe i was a bit unclear about that. But thats the ICAO callsign (example BAW123) But i meant, as an option to see the full callsign (example Speedbird123)

Not possible yet, it will be the subject of the next major release.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Menno Alting 897707
Posted
Posted

Ok , thanks for the reply.

Stil thinks you did a great job on this one

Cobra ready to strike

1243.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Nigel,

1. Ammended the verification routine to accept US format of flight plans (. for waypoint separator, .. for DCT). They will be however standardized to ICAO format (spaces and DCTs). The route example you provided is now perfectly OK.

2. Limiting route submission rights to C1s only sounds to me like permitting updates to Wikipedia only if you have a Ph.D. Anyone can submit and update routes, I look at them manually to sort out obvious [Mod - lovely stuff]. Then anyone can submit corrections, and hopefully that way the database quality will improve quickly. This is my "business model" and I have no intention to change that. I've been down the path of permitting only VACCs to submit updates, that was three years ago with EUroute and it was wrong. I'm absolutely amazed with the quality of route updates submitted now with vroute by "ordinary" pilots and that confirms it was the right way to go.

3. NOTAMs. Check out http://notams.euroutepro.com for information about what the NOTAM Center is. It is not a simple "show all real life NOTAMs" service. I'm not interested if the fax machine at EPWA goes out, neither I want to read about military parachute jumping exercises. If you want to see the NOTAM center at work, check the NOTAMs for EPPO to LHBP.

4. Disable sound. Yes, it's on my list somewhere.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Ricardo Pais 980359
Posted
Posted

Hello!

Love the pdf conversion thing! Awsome!

What about adding weather maps from http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/SDDI/cgi/listImages.pl?m=bnw,se=2,c=IR_108,f=1 ???

It would be great to get "zoomable" weather maps depending on the ICAO airports we are using!

And could you guys add more airplanes as well as the Portuguese FIR/airports?

Here are some charts: http://portugal-vacc.org/pilots.php

Thanks.

Ricardo Pais

LPPR and LPMA power!