You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

not enough router ports?

Richard Jacks 828214

Richard Jacks 828214
Posted
Posted

When I am trying to connect SB my port magic program says that I have run out of router ports for the program-so it never finds the connection. I have DSL through a wireless broadband router-how can I solve this?

Thanks!

RIchard

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM Richard Jacks ! (I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you are new here)

> my port magic program

What program ?

> a wireless broadband router

What kind of router ?

Maybe someone have same router and can help you.

I have D-link 604(=D-link624), and one kind of setup use all available ports, while an other leave space for more available ports.

See Subject 6. Firewall and router. Troubleshooting at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=2262#2262 .

There is also link to other router setup help there.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Richard Jacks 828214
Posted
Posted

I am not new to VATSIM, but I am new to this forum.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router

I will try the troubleshooter.

Thanks!

Richard

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I am not new to VATSIM, but I am new to this forum.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router

I will try the troubleshooter.

Thanks!

Richard

Richard,

I have this exact same router. If you need to know what things need to be forwarded to where, let me know, and I'll get you what I have configured.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Richard Jacks 828214
Posted
Posted

That would be great!

Thanks so much!

Richard

Chad Craig
Posted
Posted

I would like the info for the WRT54G also if you don't mind.

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Brad Littlejohn. Please post the info in the forum if you don't mind.

Richard Jacks 828214
Posted
Posted

I have it working now-at least to some degree...I contacted Linsys through their live chat and they talked me through a few changes-I am not having any problems with ports now but I am not able to see traffic in fs9- I am guessing that's another problem and not [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with the Linksys router.

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Try subject 9. Faulty position at Vatsim (Don't see other airplanes. Don't see ATC in Squawkbox directory) in Troubleshooting at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=2262#2262

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Playing catch up on this thread.

Here is what I have set up on my WRT54G router.

First, the firewall is enabled, so I don't have to worry about it on my windows machine. By default in the setup section, Linksys uses the 192.168.1.x/32 private IP address block, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. What this means, is that you should be able to use any IP address outside of the address of the router, 192.168.1.0 (network address block), and 192.168.1.255 (broadcast). By default, 192.168.1.1 is set up for the router's address. Addresses higher than 192.168.1.100 are automatically set for DHCP. Any address lower than .99 could be used for static IP addresses in your private network

You will need to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign an address for your windows machine in the network section of the control panel. With that in mind, I have my windows machine set up to have a static IP address of 192.168.1.8, netmask 255.255.255.0, and gateway of 192.168.1.1. From there, the following is what I have forwarded from the router to my windows machine:

wrt54g.jpg

Ports 3782 and 3783 for both TCP and UDP are forwarded for Squawkbox. port 3290 for TCP and UDP are forwarded for use by ASRC.

This way, your router is not in a DMZ. If it were, your whole private network would be exposed to the DMZ, which means that anyone could possibly access your machines remotely, and kill your entire setup.

So just forward those ports to the IP address you have set up, and you should be golden.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller