You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Indianapolis Booking

Chris McGee

Chris McGee
Posted
Posted

I can't seem to get Indianapolis Center to book via a valid callsign, thanks for the help...

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

Are you trying KZID_CTR?

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Chris McGee
Posted
Posted

Will do, Thanks...

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted

So I would have to book for KZME_CTR? Not gonna happen.

216.png

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted
So I would have to book for KZME_CTR? Not gonna happen.

KZME is the way the rest of the world would refer to Memphis Center. The FAA refers to it as ZME. VATSIM is the only place I know of that uses "MEM" as a 3 letter for Memphis ARTCC.

The booking and your callsign don't need to be the same, AFAIK.

The benefits (i.e. more planes) of the service you are doing the pilots by booking your sessions in advance is more than worth being a bit flexible on what code you use. But then again, if you don't... more traffic for the rest of us.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted

hehe...if you think ZME has lots of traffic to be stolen, you haven't seen how empty our scopes have been lately

Although booking has been available for some time now, I've not used it. Now that it is built into vroute, I plan on using it, but I'd like for it to reflect what I will actually be working. I mean this program is built for VATSIM is it not? Then it seems to me that it should reflect VATSIM practices (which I would love to see in complete harmony with real world practices...though I've been beaten to death in other threads for that idea).

I understand that there is some tweaking to be done to the program. The different variations around the world present challenges to a program like this, and I'm confident that vroute will overcome them in time. Vroute has great potential and I look forward to being able to book my controlling ahead of time.

216.png

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted
hehe...if you think ZME has lots of traffic to be stolen, you haven't seen how empty our scopes have been lately

Although booking has been available for some time now, I've not used it. Now that it is built into vroute, I plan on using it, but I'd like for it to reflect what I will actually be working. I mean this program is built for VATSIM is it not? Then it seems to me that it should reflect VATSIM practices (which I would love to see in complete harmony with real world practices...though I've been beaten to death in other threads for that idea).

I understand that there is some tweaking to be done to the program. The different variations around the world present challenges to a program like this, and I'm confident that vroute will overcome them in time. Vroute has great potential and I look forward to being able to book my controlling ahead of time.

Like Steve said, KZME is what everyone who is not native to US airspace would think of as Memphis. Almost everywhere else on Vatsim (other than the USA, please don't yell at me if I am wrong) uses their facility identifier in this fashion.

You would still log on as you would normally, but for bookings via vroute, you have to book via KZME_CTR.

Think about it, it is like calling London Heathrow "LHR"! It is very confusing to us in the USA, but not at all to those in Europe!

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted
Now that it is built into vroute, I plan on using it, but I'd like for it to reflect what I will actually be working. I mean this program is built for VATSIM is it not? Then it seems to me that it should reflect VATSIM practices (which I would love to see in complete harmony with real world practices...though I've been beaten to death in other threads for that idea).

But it does reflect what you're working.. if it's Memphis Center you plan on working, and want to book it, then KZME_CTR and MEM_CTR are just minor differences.

In Canada, and I believe most of the VATSIM world, you'll see a similar trend.. we all use the "frowned upon" four letter callsigns to identify ourselves (Such as CYHZ_TWR instead of YHZ_TWR or HFX_TWR)

You shouldn't make a mountain of a molehill; it really doesn't seem like a big issue.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Plus, as things progress on VATSIM, callsigns per sé will be a thing of the past, certainly from a pilot's perspective.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted

I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm learning how this thing works like the rest. If US pilots aren't confused by it, then I suppose I'll have to conform. Though it does irk me a bit that we have to conform to this "because everyone else thinks it should be this way" (but maybe thats just the American coming out in me). Whatever works.

216.png

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted

On a somewhat related note: If you are logged on, without pre-booking the session, how can you set your expected logoff time? I know that VRC has a .logofftime command. Is that it? I kinda doubt it, since you can put just about anything for that. A couple of times, I've typed ".logofftime NEVER!" for instance.

216.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Two things:

I don't think i'm strong enough to fight the entire USA and their desire to use non-ICAO callsigns. Vroute will be updated to accept MEM_CTR, i just need time to do it.

.logofftime is not available outside the FSD network, thus vroute cannot see what you typed there. There are two ways to set your log off time to be visible in vroute:

- book your ATC session and vroute will retrieve the end time from previous booking, or

- add to your ATIS something like FIN@xxxx ("finish at") where XXXX is your log off time in Zulu.

Sorry again it is not integrated with VRC, but there is simply no way to read that information from a program that is not logged in to VATSIM as pilot or ATC.

Michal

vroute.net founder