You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Processors?

Nate Johns

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

Hey, I'm considering buying a Mac and X-Plane (yes, jumping away from M$ altogether ) in the near future.

I saw this in the X-Squawkbox FAQ:

Does XSquawkBox work on the new Intel DuoCore Macintoshes?

XSquawkBox will only work on these machines if X-Plane is forced into emulation mode under Rosetta. You can do this using the Get Info dialog box on x-plane itself, but running X-Plane under emulation kills framerate. I do plan to make a universal version of XSquawkBox, but it will take a while to finish it.

Is this still current info? If I purchase a new Mac with a Core 2 Duo processor, I'll have to run a separate emulator? Does anyone know how much this actually affects performance?

I appreciate the input.

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Peter Nolin 954217
Posted
Posted

Naa.. Ben has relesed a universal binary.. finally!

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=22372

And you DO know you don't need a mac to use X-Plane, right?

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

Oh yes, understood that X-Plane is for both platforms.

Thing is, I'm getting ready to purchase a new PC here anyway. I don't really want to deal with the BS of Windows anymore, particularly the growing pains of Vista, beyond when I need it for Windows only applications.

Since FS is probably the most intensive gaming I do at present, well... I just figured a decent-powered Mac would be more than enough for my needs, especially if running X-Plane which seems so well-optimized.

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Peter Larsen 885332
Posted
Posted

Since FS is probably the most intensive gaming I do at present, well... I just figured a decent-powered Mac would be more than enough for my needs, especially if running X-Plane which seems so well-optimized.

~Nate

It will.

I have a 1.2 Ghz PPC mac mini with 128 MB ram (will be upgraded when leopard comes out ) Mac OSX 10.3 Panther and it runs ok om my mac mini .

Edit you don't hear the mac mini, you only hear the mac mini when you slot in a CD/DVD (most of the time the you don't hear the mac mini).

3500.png