You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Reequest map enhancements

Eric Fisher

Eric Fisher
Posted
Posted

I don't know if this has been brought up but can the map be enhanced? I like servinfos map...it allows zooming in and out, world coverage instead of region or FIR coverage like vroute and it is a lot more user friendly. Can we get just a simple world wide map that we can zoom in and out of at our choosing?

Eric

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

What is simple with a Windows EXE application gets terribly complicated when you speak about an embedded website. Will do it one day, but it is nowhere near just sitting for an evening or two to get it done.

For example - did you know that the background bitmap used by vroute is as big as 2 GB? Servinfo would have to download these 2 GB to offer zoom in/out with the graphical background.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Matt Chase 974571
Posted
Posted

I think the main difference that people are struggling with is the map is not as easy to use as in ServInfo. For Example, CZEG FIR has most of its traffic near the US-Canadian border. But when you view the FIR in the map, you end up seeing half of Canada. Same with many of the Oceanic Sectors. Would it be easier to allow zooming in and out within that FIR view? Could Vroute load only the geography for an FIR? So as I can soom in on New York, But can only zoom out to the size of the FIR?

Matt Chase

VATPAC C1 /O

Clarke Kruger
Posted
Posted

I run my res @ 1600x1200 and when I have VROUTE maximized the map is just to small to see anything.

So a zoom feature or at least something to maximize screen size would be great.

Other than that I'm still getting used to everything but a great job on your release.

Congrats.

FS_037.jpg

Clarke Kruger

Edmonton (CYEG) AB, Canada

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 1

Have a question? Email [email protected]

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I realize how useful it would be to have a zoom option, you don't have to convince me. It is on my list, but believe me, it is terribly complicated.

Michal

vroute.net founder

• 2 weeks later...
Luiz Fellipe Carneiro 9843
Posted
Posted

I really understand that is hard to make a zoom thing, but I have a suggestion. Look there: http://www.paulistana.va.nom.br/2.0/xpilotos.php?laction=xpilotos.phppt_br&lang=pt_br

this is a aplication we did with servinfo data and google maps (not google earth). Unfortunately you will only see planes that are from our VA (log on vatsim with PTAxxxx callsign if you wish to try, is refreshed in 10 minutes interval)

You can zoom, change to satellite view, go back to map view, well, I like it so much and is easy to set up in a web page.

Just a suggestion.

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Technology will be roughly the same as with Google Maps.

But regarding using the actual Google product - is this how you'd like to see airspace information - with all the city labels and road names? I don't think so

Michal

vroute.net founder

Posted
Posted

Indeed I don't care about the names because you can change to satellite view and thare's nothing. And is nice to can see the name of cities where you are flying over.

But as I say, just and suggestion!

Man Hang Wong 974212
Posted
Posted

michal: i believe there are ways to add FIR border lines to the google maps (using API, may be)

see if this is possible

sig.png

Posted
Posted

There is, you can draw lines, poligons and so, very flexible.

Jasper Franken
Posted
Posted

just an idea i had

would it be possible to ad a function that enables users to switch the map by clicking on the adjoining fir. Example. I'm fliying to EHAM in the Bremen fir to and have the map centered on it. then clicking on the netherelands fir (which is partly on the map) would center the map on that fir and give me guick info for my destination.

Also, is there a way to change the default start location of the map vieuws. for example always starting centered on your own ID?

just a thought. still learning to work with the great tool and servinfo was getting outdated

Thanks, Jasper

5751.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I'm planning a complete rework of the map feature to enable pan&zoom and for that reason I'd rather not spend time on little improvements like the click-to-pan thing you're proposing.

What do you mean by "centered on your own ID" - opening up in the country where you are logged in?

regards,

Michal

vroute.net founder

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Hi Michal,

I think what he trying to say by centered by your own ID is that your aircraft at it's position would be in the center of the map, which is a good idea, if you can swing it.

Regards,

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I can't do that until the map can be freely panned - which is a feature that is not available yet.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

The key word here being yet. He teases us...

You are doing a great job, keep it up!

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Jasper Franken
Posted
Posted
Hi Michal,

I think what he trying to say by centered by your own ID is that your aircraft at it's position would be in the center of the map, which is a good idea, if you can swing it.

Regards,

Exactly what i thought. Off course "if you can swing it" count for me also. Pannable and zoomable map sounds great. Like the new look with the tabs shown in the other post.

Thanks, Jasper

PS, had to tell Hostspy where Amsterdam was but should be working now .

5751.png