You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Gibraltar pilots not showing!

Tony Evans

Tony Evans
Posted
Posted

Online right now can be seen a Louis Lopez at LXGB but it is showing up not as Gibraltar but under Spain also stating that it is under LECM Madrid Center jurisdiction!

I'm sure you know as well as I do ( ) that Gibraltar does have its own airspace coverage as its added in as a nation...it just never gets used.

I noticed this the other day when I flew from LXGB as well but thought as I was flying into Spain that it could be for that reason.

Just doing my best to help

Tony

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted

Sorry for the ignorance, but I thought Gibraltar fell under the Madrid FIR?

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Hi Tony,

Does Gibraltar have it's own FIR or is it an airspace within LECM?

Michal

vroute.net founder

Tony Evans
Posted
Posted
Hi Tony,

Does Gibraltar have it's own FIR or is it an airspace within LECM?

Michal

it doesn't have an FIR of its own no but the airspace it does, its very limited I guess it would be considered as within LECM as such but it falls under Gibraltar airspace not Madrid

http://virtualskies.net/cvars/download/LXGB.pdf

the charts here show the limited airspace

Seamus there is one reason mainly why Gibraltar has its own airspace and its cos of ther mil ops, the RAF and MoD ownership of the runway

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted
Seamus there is one reason mainly why Gibraltar has its own airspace and its cos of ther mil ops, the RAF and MoD ownership of the runway

Oh I knew that, but what exactly is the type of airspace at Gibraltar? Despite the limited airspace in Gibraltar, is it considered that the airport still falls under the Madrid FIR or is that airspace considered separate from Madrid?

Tony Evans
Posted
Posted

Oh I knew that, but what exactly is the type of airspace at Gibraltar? Despite the limited airspace in Gibraltar, is it considered that the airport still falls under the Madrid FIR or is that airspace considered separate from Madrid?

according to a friend who's Dad is a controller at Gib its separate from Madrid but as Madrid Center extends to waypoint Bravo/Spanish exclave Ceuta its commonly seen as under Madrid FIR....all control for Gib is handled 50nm for LXGB after Malaga

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

If there's no separate FIR for Gibraltar, then the only option I can currently think of is to remove Gibraltar from countries list, just like a separate entry for Luxembourg was removed in the past for the same reason.

MIchal

vroute.net founder

Tony Evans
Posted
Posted
If there's no separate FIR for Gibraltar, then the only option I can currently think of is to remove Gibraltar from countries list, just like a separate entry for Luxembourg was removed in the past for the same reason.

MIchal

yeh thats what i was thinking...it'll be sad to see it go but it doesn't really do much...unless we get some ATC over there and that at the minute is well something no-one has ever done

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

OK, will be changed in next release together with the "All Pilots" stuff.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

That's a long and detailed docomeent. What exactly would you like to see?

Michal

vroute.net founder

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
it doesn't really do much...unless we get some ATC over there and that at the minute is well something no-one has ever done

That's not strictly true, apart from tonight's event it has certainly been manned in the past by British controllers. We had a very successful fly-in there sometime last year and I have seen it manned occasionally before that. Manned or not it does certainly get traffic, I've flown in and out of there on a regular basis myself as have a number of other Brit pilots.

Bill Casey

Tony Evans
Posted
Posted
That's a long and detailed docomeent. What exactly would you like to see?

Michal

maybe we could make Gib work somehow with the airspace and knowledge of the handoff areas...

Thanks Bill, i'm a little less informed of that, I know about the flying part I see a tonne of them daily but from what i understood was that no-one could control gib until this agreement was made...well at least we got it and should see regular manning...Mr Chris Norman seems to like doing it frequently

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Tony, first see in detail how it works, and then tell me what you'd like changed. I cannot accept "maybe we could make it show somehow" as an answer

Michal

vroute.net founder

Norbert Pflug 899571
Posted
Posted

MIchal

Yeah, right... "ignore the small countries"

Cheers,

Norbert

wf2010banner.jpg

>>>>>> http://www.fly737.com <<<<<<

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

When I was setting up SATCO in Poland in 1997, we were considered "small country" in terms of the number of users. Now we have 700 pilots and 50 active controllers. So I know what it's like to be a small country and my statements are driven by nothing but facts.

Michal

vroute.net founder