You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SB on 2nd PC without WideFS?

Norbert Kronlachner 922593

Posted
Posted

Hello World!

I'm a newbie in VATSIM. OK, so I tried to find a good solution for my needs. Yesterday I managed to have FS 2004, squawkbox (with SBHost.exe) on the 1st PC and SBRelay on the 2nd PC (linked with ethernet). Works fine. Only drawback is, that I could not use FS in FullSscreen, yes it worked, but everytime I clicked on the squawkbox on the 2nd Monitor of the 1st PC FS minimized to the taskbar. So I tried to run SBHost and Squawkbox on the 2nd PC. As I understand Squawkbox comunicates only with SBRelay and not with FS2004 direct. So I give it a chance. But when I started Suawkbox on the 2nd PC (FS 2004 running on the 1st PC and connected to SBRelay on the 2nd PC) I got the message "Start FS first" or something like this. So my question: is there a way to give Squawkbox the "feeling" that FS is allready running? Practically I think SB does not really need FS because it is linked to FS over SBRelay. - I dont want to use HostSB.dll, because it seemed to make my FS instable.

Any suggestions are wellcome! (1st PC WinXP Home; NVIDIA FX5600 newest Driver, 2nd Monitor on this card; 2nd PC Win 98 )

Greetings from LOAU

Norbert AUA788

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

To use Squawkbox (any version) on a second PC you need WideFS. There is no other way around.

Remember, Squawkbox communicates with MSFS via FSUIPC. And WideFS is mainly an interface to make communication with FSUIPC available on a remote PC.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Posted
Posted

Thank you for your answer.

So my [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption, that SB only communicates with FS2004 via SBRelay is faulty. And there is still direct communication between SB and FS9 using FSUIPC. If this is correct than I understand that there is no way without WideFS.

Greetings

Norbert LOAU

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted
And there is still direct communication between SB and FS9 using FSUIPC.

Exactly. SB Relay is used as the host for the multiplayer session "only". Squawkbox needs FSUIPC and won´t run without it.

Please note that VATSIMs upcoming new pilot client FSInn doesn´t require FSUIPC. It can be used without FSUIPC in single- and multi-PC configurations.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png