You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

EISN Airspace

Stephen Donnelly

Stephen Donnelly
Posted
Posted

Hi Michal,

I've noticed that the NOTA and SOTA sections of airspace attached to the EISN FIR (Shannon/Ireland) have not been included as our airspace. I was wondering if you would be able to add these? From experience controlling this airspace it is leading to considerable confusion - pilots are even arguing with us over pm because as far as they are concerned, vRoute shows them outside our airspace.

It would be greatly appreciated it if you could update the database to this effect.

I can source co-ordinates if you like.

Many Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen Donnelly CTR+

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I know of the problem since quite some time. The only problem is that making manual updates to airspace coordinates is a terribly manual job, taking most likely many hours to complete for each such change.

Michal

vroute.net founder

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted
I know of the problem since quite some time. The only problem is that making manual updates to airspace coordinates is a terribly manual job, taking most likely many hours to complete for each such change.

Michal

Thats understandable Michal but in all fairness, you were aware of the issue prior to the release of vroute, and with more and more pilots now using vroute, even some who didn't use ServInfo before, there is increasing confusion over Irish airspace, and as Stephen points out, pilots are actually argueing with us over whether or not they're actually in Irish airspace, as they think they're in oceanic airspace, so the sooner this problem is fixed, the sooner the confusion will be gone. I know its a terrible job having to go through changing co-ordinates and whatnot, but you can imagine that its also a terrible job having to explain to a pilot that they're in Irish airspace, and in the process have them start an arguement with you, which takes up time you could be spending concentrating on other pilots.

Stephen Donnelly
Posted
Posted

Michal, surely the only boundary change is with EGGX airspace which has straight edge boundaries? Should only be a few minor changes, no? I'm not trying to pressure you, simply understand the problem when there seems to have been no problem fixing other similar problems...

Stephen Donnelly CTR+

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

It's not a similar problem at all. And the statement that you're not trying to pressure me is contradicting everything else you said

Michal

vroute.net founder

Stephen Donnelly
Posted
Posted
It's not a similar problem at all. And the statement that you're not trying to pressure me is contradicting everything else you said

Michal

Well, maybe - but I have to try and be nice at the same time

Stephen Donnelly CTR+

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Roughly at around 10th email it stopped being funny or nice at all.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Stephen Donnelly
Posted
Posted

10th? Im completely lost...

Stephen Donnelly CTR+

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Yep. Thanks Seamus.

Michal

vroute.net founder

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted
Yep. Thanks Seamus.

Michal

What?

Michael Reilly 886102
Posted
Posted

Cmon guys,

Michal is saying he is aware that Shannon's boundaries need to be updated (the 10+ or how ever many emails you sent Seamus advising Michal of the required update) and Im sure he will eventually get around to fixing it.

In the meantime, you have to realise that other people have other commitments in life than updating a map, so just have a bit more patience

VATSIM Supervisor

VATEIR C3

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted (edited)
Cmon guys,

Michal is saying he is aware that Shannon's boundaries need to be updated (the 10+ or how ever many emails you sent Seamus advising Michal of the required update) and Im sure he will eventually get around to fixing it.

In the meantime, you have to realise that other people have other commitments in life than updating a map, so just have a bit more patience

I never sent him 10 e-mails! And don't lecture me on life commitments Daryl, theres no need for that kind of snobbiness.

Edited by Guest

Stephen Donnelly
Posted
Posted
guys,

Talk about painting people with the same brush...

If Seamus sent him 10 emails, that's between them. All I did was ask.

Stephen Donnelly CTR+

Michael Reilly 886102
Posted
Posted
I never sent him 10 e-mails! And don't lecture me on life commitments Daryl, theres no need for that kind of snobbiness.

James, I am not lecturing you on anything. All I said was Michal is probably busy with other commintments, and to be a bit more patient as Im sure he'll get around to an update soon.

VATSIM Supervisor

VATEIR C3

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted

James, I am not lecturing you on anything. All I said was Michal is probably busy with other commintments, and to be a bit more patient as Im sure he'll get around to an update soon.

You could've quite easily made that point without the snide remarks Daryl...

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Calm down, please.

There is no such thing as solving problems in order of apperance. The fact that a particular problem was reported in March does not mean automatically it has high priority. The stuff in my inbox has very different priorities - some issues affect entire user base, and some are limited to one country or airport. Some issues are serious, that is they prevent people from using the software at all, and some simply cause some information to be invalid or sometimes just esthetically wrong. Finally, some bugs take hours to fix with a potential for screwing up a significant piece of the program, and some bugs are just 5 minutes of work with zero risk.

I always try to concentrate on fixes that potentially prevent further problems from appearing - for example, the EIDL case a few days ago was a general problem in airspace recognition and despite being specific to one airport at first glance, it probably solved an identical problem for a number of locations in other places.

Some people think that if I did not respond to their email in 24 hours, then they should resend the message or post to VATSIM forums and EUroute Support forum in paralell. The only thing you achieve is make me more reluctant to fix the problem, because fixing it immediately means your multi-channel pressure worked and gives bad example for the future.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Stephen Donnelly
Posted
Posted

Michal,

Of course that's a perfectly reasonable explanation. You have developed this in entirely your own time. I was simply trying to understand te exact nature of the problem. We can wait for this to be fixed whenever you have the time. In the meantime, as it is a pressing issue for us, if we can be of any [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance at all in helping you to help us, please let me know.

Thanks, and apologies for any excess pressure.

Stephen

Stephen Donnelly CTR+