You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Jerky and Stuttering Frames and Low FPS on Landings

Gabriel Adei

Gabriel Adei
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think this topic might have been discussed some where but I cant seem to find it so I am starting a new thread to ask my question.

1. While in flight or sometimes even on the ground I found out that my frames stutter a lot. Its as if it pauses mometarily and then move one. This happens about every 10secs, then the pause followed by a jerk till the next 10s. Even when the FPS is about 20-24. Help please.

2. the second question is the low FPS when I get closer to any airport and about to land. This happens with any airport and not only the big ones. My FPS drops from about 20-24 to a low of 7-9. For the same airport that I get this low FPS upon landing if I restart and take of from that airport my FPS is back to 20-24. I am thinking it has to do with my memory holding on to the old files or scenery after I have p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed that area or something. It happens on short flights like an hr to 2hrs as well. Help please. I am running FS9 at the moment on VATSIM with FSInn. Departures with other multi player traffic is much better than landings with no traffic. Terrible when u cant correct properly on approach and u have to dove tail cos of the low FPS

Help Please.

Edited by Guest

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Don't use FSInn, however there have been some threads recently about this. Do you use Zone Alarm or even any other firewall or antivirus?

Cheers!

Paul.

Gabriel Adei
Posted
Posted

I dont use zone alarm in fact I dont even know what that is. However I have a router and uses McAfee. Thx

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Ok, that could be an issue. There are other things to check. I'd recommend a couple of things :

1) Check out the FSInn FAQs available here : http://www.mcdu.com/en/faq.php

There is also a support forum on that site, maybe do a search for "Frame rates" there.

2) Do a search on this forum for "FSINN frame rate"

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Paul.

Alex Vainer 929287
Posted
Posted
I dont use zone alarm in fact I dont even know what that is. However I have a router and uses McAfee. Thx

Could ZA affect performance?

Alex "AV" Vainer C1

Los Angeles ARTCC

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Check the above post for the answers, specifically the FAQs.

Personally, I use Sygate personal. Freeware and very secure.

Cheers!

Paul.

Guy Finney 997250
Posted
Posted
Could ZA affect performance?

I'm running ZA Pro 7.0 with FSInn 1.2. I finally got a chance today to do a controlled experiment with it. My VA had a little impromptu fly-in so there were several of us on the ground at once. I'd set everyone's planes in FSInn to use the VA's models/paint and was getting rates below 10 fps. I shut down ZA completely and it had no effect on the frame rate. I then switched the VA planes to low-polygon AI planes and the frame rate shot up to 15 (not great, but at least it's not a slide show any more). I then turned ZA back on and the frame rate stayed around 15 fps.

I can't speak for anyone else's experience, but that's mine. Changing the other planes to be less detailed made a big difference, while stopping ZA didn't.

Gabriel Adei
Posted
Posted

What is Zone Alarm, and also how do u reduce the VA planes to low AI polygon planes in FSInn. I dont even see the real planes in my FSInn. Unless its the default FS plane all I see is generic bombadier and cessnas for every plane type.

Guy Finney 997250
Posted
Posted

Zone Alarm is a combination firewall & anti-spyware payware product. I was always suspicious of the claim in the FSInn docomeentation that ZA was somehow incompatible with it. TCP & UDP packets are still TCP & UDP packets regardless of what application is sending/receiving them so there's no reason for one application (FS/FSInn) to be affected more severely than others. And if a firewall product imposed a significant bandwidth penalty people wouldn't put up with it for very long (think streaming video).

For the low(er) resolution models, look in the FSInn Settings->General->Options box and check "Use only lowres Models".

In my case I wanted the VA a/c to look right (BE20's) but the frame rate was horrible so I let FSInn revert to using the default AI Dash-8 instead.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

re low framerates, FSinn is not known to produce low framerates, but there are a couple of settings which might have an effect.

Make sure you have the number of planes shown set a bit lower I think the default is 150, also reset the range to something abit more realistic like 30 nm. And the weather refresh rate needs to be set to 300 seconds not 5 seconds. I think you will find this will amke a difference.

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks