You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can't connect!

Brian Nuss 887798

Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted

I just installed VRC for the first time and when I try and connect, I get the error message saying:

Could not retrieve server list from network. Using the cached server list and user-defined servers.

None of my firewalls are in place. I have Windows XP and at this moment, I'm using dial-up. Does that make a difference?

I was going to ask this in a seperate thread, but is VRC usable with only a dial-up conection?

I want to be able to communicate with voice so I'm guessing that may be beyond the limitations of dial-up(?)

Thanks for any help you can provide this humble noobie.

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg

"The clueless newb of today is the seasoned loyal pilot of tomorrow." -Elchitz

Darryl Roach 988606
Posted
Posted

You have to have a server list installed either from the Academy or your ARTCC, usually the file is called "myservers" and ARTCC websites will have them available for download. Just put it in your main VRC program folder. If that's not in there, you won't be able to connect anywhere.

Darryl Roach

0[/url]

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
You have to have a server list installed either from the Academy or your ARTCC, usually the file is called "myservers" and ARTCC websites will have them available for download. Just put it in your main VRC program folder. If that's not in there, you won't be able to connect anywhere.

This applies only to custom servers like the sweatbox, which is used by the VATUSA training academy. It does not apply to connecting to the regular VATSIM network.

Brian, dialup is more than adequate ... voice uses very little bandwidth. Of course I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that VRC is the ONLY program using your connection ... in other words, no file sharing, streaming movies/audio, etc.

Are you fully certain that you have no firewalls running? Usually that's the cause of that error. Or antivirus.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC