You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Must Read Before Using Vox ATIS!

Ryan Holloman 895700

Ryan Holloman 895700
Posted
Posted (edited)

I want to start off by thanking Ross and the Vatsim crew for implementing voice ATIS into our community. I feel that it is a huge addition to what we already consider "as real as it gets". I have found however while flying in and out of most of the ARTCCs that the actual voice recordings aren't 100% correct. The file listed at the bottom of my post includes two files straight out of the FAA Academy self-study guide which has been implemented into our program at Silver State Air Traffic Control. (www.silverstateatc.com). Anyways, I wanted to share these with everyone in Vatusa and hopefully the ATISs can become that much more realistic. Just a brief overview, one of the files is called "Current Weather". This includes how to appropriately decode metars and understand each and every one of the weather phenomenon. The second file is entitled "ATIS" and basically explains in detail the purpose and procedures for using them. Anyways, I hope this helps and let me know what you guys think!

Also on a side note for you TA's out there. This package also comes with a few written tests, so if any of you would be interested in implementing them into your training platform, shoot me an email at ryan (dot) holloman (at) zhuartcc.com!

http://rapidshare.com/files/34065704/Info.zip

EDIT: Zipped the two together... dunno why I didnt do that the first time!

Edited by Guest

Ryan Holloman

ZHU C3

1091.png

Eugene Zaporozhets 898014
Posted
Posted

Good call, great articles!

Eugene Zaporozhets,

ZLA I1

61.png

Timothy Boger 942264
Posted
Posted

Amen brotha! It makes me cringe when I hear that sky conditions are two five zero overcast and visibility is "TEN". Bleck.

Timothy Boger

ZMP ATM!

Bruno Pinto 964946
Posted
Posted

Very nice Rhino!!

Bruno Pinto

VATME - OOMM - C3

atc1o.png

bannervf7kp9.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

This is a really good read and a must have for controllers in the US! It even answered my 'weather better than 5000 and 5' question I've had for the past couple of years!

Mods, if there were a place to store this the ZIP file, like at VATUSA, any chance this could be stickied?

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Although I don't think any new "tests" are needed anywhere here on vatsim, especially for making a voice atis properly - I DO think that the material provided is fantastic and agree that it should be standard reading!

Not only did I enjoy reading it, I also learned some stuff.

Thanks.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Ryan Holloman 895700
Posted
Posted

Thanks alot guys... I know it is very useful information and I hope that people will take the time to read it throughout. Ian, the tests I had mentioned were aimed at the TA's only if they feel the need to test in their facilities before controllers and students can use voice ATIS. We in ZHU are currently not using any of them, but I wanted to leave the option open to anyone who feels the need in their facility.

Ryan Holloman

ZHU C3

1091.png

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Ryan,

That was absolutely rockin'. The information was incredibly clear, and well presented. I think it's imperative that this information be made available to all US controllers as an easy to access reference. Ultmately, an HTML version would be great.

Thank you so much for posting it!

Michael Oberg 855611
Posted
Posted

What am I missing here? when I go to the posted website, I just get a site for creating a new website. HELP!!

Michael Oberg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
What am I missing here? when I go to the posted website, I just get a site for creating a new website. HELP!!

Try this. After you click on the link, scroll down to the bottom and click on the Free button. After that, you'll see the options to select a mirror to download the file from and any code there to enter in. Once you do that, the download will start.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller