You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatsim and X-Plane user

Jeremy Castellanos 1007109

Posted
Posted

Just out of curiousity I was wondering how many X-Plane users fly on Vatsim. Reason being is that I have X-Plane and I have connected to Vatsim at KMIA and listened in for an hour just to see how everything on a pilots end works since I do ATC there more than fly. I know the scenery load lag for X-Plane is still there and for me it may pause for roughly 10 seconds or less. I have heard of Controllers getting mad about someone not doing what they asked them to do right away cause of the lag. SO I wanted to see how many Vatsim pilots use X-Plane to connect a fly with the ATC controlling you. I want to go on a fly with X-Plane since I have been practicing my procedures for some Florida airports, especially Miami International.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Jeremy, if you're doing a flight within a 'local' area, you can disable in-flight scenery loads from the Rendering Options screen. X-plane always loads one scenery tile ahead of your present location. If you'll never leave the currently loaded area, there's no need for it to load that scenery during your flight, and you'll get rid of the 10 second scenery loads completely.

If you'd like to do longer flights, though, the best bet would be to reduce the objects and roads as much as possible, and use a dual core machine. X-plane will load the scenery mesh in the background and use another processor if one is present. I believe the object loading code (buildings, roads, etc) is single threaded, though, so it's best to minimize those as they will directly affect your scenery load times, even in a dual core scenario.

I do all of my flying online. The scenery loads are a pain. As a controller, I can usually tell if someone is running x-plane, because they all appear to disconnect for short periods of time and then pop back up. It is an issue if you are running aircraft in a stream with minimum legal spacing, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Good question, and good answer. I'm guessing that if I keep flying the Supercub when I get online with X-Plane, a 10 second pause will be indistinguishable from my plane's normal pace.

"It's faster than a stationary object!"

"It's more powerful than... something that isn't powerful!"

"It's Suuuuuuupercub!"

-- anon

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Posted
Posted
Jeremy, if you're doing a flight within a 'local' area, you can disable in-flight scenery loads from the Rendering Options screen. X-plane always loads one scenery tile ahead of your present location. If you'll never leave the currently loaded area, there's no need for it to load that scenery during your flight, and you'll get rid of the 10 second scenery loads completely.

I will give that a try. I never really turned it off for local flights. Most of them have been from Miami to Tampa or Orlando. As far as non-local I have gone to Princess Juliana International and Houston, Texas. So you might see me out there somewhere in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
Reece Hunter
Posted
Posted

I do not know how true this is but a reliable source told me once that you can spot the X-Plane pilots using ServInfo; their names are all in caps. It does not answer your question but it may give you a rough idea.

RH

Reece Hunter

vACC Philippines Chief

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Somewhat correct Reece. XSB doesn't allow you to change the case of your name. It displays as upper case.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Posted
Posted
Somewhat correct Reece. XSB doesn't allow you to change the case of your name. It displays as upper case.

Yup I noticed that also recently before I read this. I have tried to get it lower cased but it wasn't going to happen so now I can see who is using XPlane like me.