You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SB2.3 Question

Richard Couvillon 906839

Richard Couvillon 906839
Posted
Posted

I've been having trouble getting SB to work in FS9 and WinXP. I do the proper start up routine: Relay, FS9 fires up in full screen mode, Connect MP, Create Flight, Run Host.dll, go to desktop and run SB. At this point it can take up to 15 tries to get SB to start up, and then it's not guaranteed to work through the entire flight. Some times the screen or cursor will start flickering and that's the end of the flight. Go to Task manager and exit FS9.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting here: disable virus protection, ensure UPnP is off on the router, etc.

Next thing I try is run FS9 in windowed mode. Get to the SB startup and.....no problem. Goes to the "Click here to get into the action" screen.

Is this problem inherrent to SB Host.dll, SB itself, FS9 or WinXP?

I gather from watching the SB3 progress that this problem does not exsist with SB3, since at least 1 of the testers must have XP.

SACSigRichardCouvillon.jpg23.png

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

FS9, check. SB2.3, check. HostSB.dll, check.

Where's SBRelay in this? are you starting that up prior to connecting MP? if so, are you JOINING the SBRelay session instead of hosting your own?

Have a look at the PRC on this one. I want to say it's section 103d. That will take care of the issue you're having.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

with me,

fs only works if i start it in windowed mode,

then i can alt-enter from full screen to windowed as much as i like.

however,if i start in full screen mode,

on alt-entering to windowed mode,

it'll work,but when alt-entering back to full screen mode

the screen will turn black,with a flickering mouse.

the best thing to do is starting fs in windowed mode,then remembering to shut it

down in windowed mode.

i've had succes with changing the resolution from 1280x960

back to 1024x768.

as far as i know,it's got nothing to do with vatsim app's,as

it also does it on a clean virgin fs9 install.

i think it's a driver issue.

i'm using win xp pro on an AMD1800 with a GF4 ti4200.

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

There is an often common problem when using SBHost.dll , (no one I know can say if the bug really is located in SBHost.dll , but the proplems come with SBHost.dll ).

It's a typical randomized target problem.

I have noticed that SBHost.dll 'cause a lot of different problem e.g. SBRelay or FS crash. It can absolut crash even if you running FS in a window also. Many thing you change in your system or way to start up, might help the problem, but it's unsure and the "SB Host.exe" is much more stable.

Good luck.

p.s. Brad Littlejohn

I think Richard Couvillon mean he start SBRelay first as "I do the proper start up routine: Relay..."

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Richard Couvillon 906839
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the help, and Yes Lenart, you caught it! I do start relay first! thanks again. I'll try the Windowed mode to see how it works.

TTYL

Rick

Richard Couvillon 906839
Posted
Posted

I've found a way of working around the Host.dll problem.

After Relay, FS9 and the multiplayer session are started, I've gone outside the FS window and started Host.exe. SB then starts up on the first try and a connection can be made. There is only one problem using this configuration. If you have to rely on text, when you click on the second monitor (that's where I move the SB window to) it blanks out FS9 if you're using Full Screen. I have a CH USB Flight Sim yoke, so I hooked up one of the buttons to the FSUIPC button commands and set it for the PTT AVC/RW setting. When FS9 is activated in FS mode, pushing the button on the yoke connects voice to AVC. Before I was able to get the yoke set up properly, I had to click on the SB window to activate the keyboard PTT button, which also blanked out the FS9 Screen.