You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 user in an X-Plane forum...your chance to convert him

Peter Bruns 982413

Peter Bruns 982413
Posted
Posted

So like, I hate Microsoft. Always have, always will. They try to find the "status quo"... and when it comes to flight simulation, to "summarize the flying experience in a way everyone can enjoy".

Ehhhh. O.K. But as a real pilot, I've taken the inquisitive spirit of "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop" and applied it to "how many third-party add-ons does it REALLY take before FS can be truly called realistic?"

I only fly payware aircraft because Microsoft's (commercial airliners, at least) don't even cut it. Then there's scenery add-ons, weather add-ons, flight planning add-ons, blah blah blah.

So the ubiquitous question of the day is...(temple chimes sound here..) "Should I get X-Plane instead"? I am hoping to draw on the knowledge of you kind folks. What kind of hardware do I need to run it WELL? (My set up is Pentium D, 1gig RAM, 250 MB card, XP Pro). Yeah another gig RAM is probably advisable. Next, how has everyone's experience connecting to VATSIM and with model recognition been? Last... what kind of add-ons can you use with X-Plane? Payware aircraft? Scenery? The payware aircraft is the biggest deal for me 'cause I like total model accuracy.

Thanks, folks. My ears are open.

Jeremy Castellanos 1007109
Posted
Posted

I have done FS9 and I also have X-Plane. I find FS9 to be ok at times and well Xplane just does it more for me. Not only can you fly with more accurate GPS points and you can find scenery to pay for as well as user ones to make you scenery better looking. Flight modeling either paid for or downloaded free from sites are fantastic. To me Xplane has a better sense of actual flying. I would be flying in FS9 and take a turn and you still would be skidding on the turn if you don't hold your rudder all the time when already back straight and in xplane once you wound up straight again you could release the rudders and be ok again. To be fair I am no real pilot but I believe Xplane has way more potential then MSFS. You might want alot more opinions.

Pierre Theillere 861704
Posted
Posted

Hi Peter and Jeremy!

Part of "what's great" in X-Plane... is that you can try a fully functional (but time-limited, 6 minutes stick input only) demo for latest version!

So... not only you can ask X-Plane users their feelings and opinions (subjective, of couse!) but you could also build you mind more objectively by yourself, using the free demo available on http://www.x-plane latest version being 8.60

And even better... if later you take the step to buy X-Plane, your DVD will act as an "unlock key" to turn the demo into a full (non time-limited) version!

Pierre, LFPG, STV1010

Peter Nolin 954217
Posted
Posted

Well. If you are into payware you should have no problem just buying the DVD right away and hope for the best, it's supercheap right now. It takes a few days to fall in love and understand the, somewhat, tricky menusystem and settings.

That 5 minute [Mod - lovely stuff] protection is just annoying and Mr. Meyers have told me he is going to look into some other protectionmethod in v9.

If you are really interessted you go to places like xplanefreeware.net and x-plane.org and read, watch screenshots and videos etc. It's not really our job to convince you/others over and over again. It's getting into a job soon

I switched in august 06 and it's impossible to go back to MSFS. But prepare yourself for some work. Altough Global Scenery is *amazing* (60GIG of data) it doesn't include any buildingdata. So all airports will be just runways until you download scenery for that airport.

- Currently there are NO aircraft with a full FMC system. There was but some nasty © violations put it into an end. Temporary we can hope.

- The VATSIM (xsquawkbox) software is somewhat rudimentary/basic if you compare it to the MSFS version of Squawkbox. You might even find it offensive if you are used to a nice GUI.

Good luck.

Peter Larsen 885332
Posted
Posted

There are an advanced FMC atleast for the B747 right now, there will be an Airbus out soon but it's payware.

3500.png

Peter Nolin 954217
Posted
Posted
There are an advanced FMC atleast for the B747 right now, there will be an Airbus out soon but it's payware.

Please give us a source.

Jeremy Castellanos 1007109
Posted
Posted

Just to recap, I have Xplane and love it. I fly with it alot and yes it is fully functional.

Please give us a source.

Yeah give us a source.

Peter Larsen 885332
Posted
Posted

Can't remember the link .

3500.png

Peter Nolin 954217
Posted
Posted

I am pretty sure you are talking about the FJCC 747 FMC which was a very exiting project. It was a part of the EADT team. Javier (the programmer) released this package some month or two ago. Everything was fine and it seemed to work well.

Unfortunately it turned out that Javier has broken some sacred rules and borrowed alot of things, including a panel from the PMDG team and original things from the xplanefreeware.net library. Ofcourse the community got raged and he had to close down the store. It was a sad ending for such a great project and I really hope he can come back with a new, all original, package.

The goodwayteam was about to do an Airbus FMC but that project seems to have stalled yonks ago. No news, no nothing. I have no expectations anymore.

So in the end, the X-Plane community stands yet again without a fully FMC drivven aircraft alá PMDG and similar.

Trust me, I'm well enough integrated with the XP community by now and I am 99% sure of that there is no other FMC drivven aircraft out there.

And btw, almost all aircrafts in XP have a basic FMC/FMS where you can add waypoints etc. But things like fuelcomsumption etc isn't implemented.

So unless you are a pro FMC user, the built in one will do just fine.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

I have been a loyal FS pilot since the days when the application was owned by SubLogic and I flew on my green Apple ][+ monitor.

10 months ago I purchased X-Plane. Since then the joy I have in simulated flight has been renewed completely. I love X-Plane. I love flying the aircraft, I love the terrain, weather, and scenery. I actually love the sheer simplicity of XSquawkbox. I enjoy the X-Plane community, which I am still exploring - since it reminds me of the "good old days" in the FS community.

The few support issues I've had with X-Plane have been handled by Austin and Randy in a swift, courteous, and personal manner until a reasonable conclusion was met.

I have made a few payware purchases from a developer as well. The experience was excellent. I got what exactly what I paid for, have had great support, and the value was fantastic.

Here's the catch in my opinion: If you don't like GA aircraft, it might not be your bag. In MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE - I have only found one heavy metal aircraft which I enjoyed flying (Freeware B737-300). THe other ones have all been lacking in my opinion in look, feel, and functionality. The GA experience has been phenomenal. I've conducted all but my first flight on the Vatsim network without any problems.

The cost of the product is less than some of the more popular payware add ons currently being sold in the FS world. Why not drop $50 and give it a whirl? Worst case scenario might be that you absolutely hate it - and have to dump your license on somene else to minimize loss of investment.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles