You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC 1.2 Problem: Cannot Connect

Brian Perlman 964060

Brian Perlman 964060
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I'm havin a little trouble getting VRC 1.2 to connect. Tried turning off all firewalls, tried different profiles, restarting the comp, the whole nine yards, but still have the problem. When I first open up VRC, and hit File, then Connect, then type in all the correct info, then hit Connect, it says:

[17:32:59] You are no longer requesting a break.

[17:32:59] You are no longer requesting help.

[17:32:59] Error: Connection failed.

BTW, also when I start VRC up, a dialog box pops up and says:

"Could not retrieve server list from network. Using the cached server list and user-defined servers."

Okay, anyway, I try to connect, and the error msg shows up at the bottom. Then I do the same thing to try to connect again, but this time it says (I'm typing it exactly how it shows it):

[17:35:40] You are no longer requesting a break.

[17:35:40] You are no longer requesting help.

Weird, huh? BTW, if you can't read it (since it's in yellow , highlight it with ur cursor).

And here's another catch: my Mozilla Firefox won't connect to the internet, either. I'm using IE. Firefox was working before I installed VRC, and now it's not working. Perplexing. It sounds like something (Windows related) is not letting anything connect to the internet except IE (it's not letting VRC or FF connect).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Brian

Edited by Guest

Brian Perlman 964060
Posted
Posted

BTW, here are some screenies to help ya'll out:

This is after I double click on VRC, open my profile, and click on the OK button after it says "Cannot retrieve server blah, blah".

VRC1.jpg

This is after I try to connect the first time.

VRC2.jpg

This is after I try to connect the second time.

VRC3.jpg

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

What server are you trying to connect via, did you try other server??

Brian Perlman 964060
Posted
Posted

Yes, I've tried all the servers.

Tony Evans
Posted
Posted

this has happened to me before, my connection was not high enough for VRC to actually pick it up...my ISP decided to have a slow day

hows the rest of your net going? speedy as usual or noticeably slow?

thats the only sugesstion i have from experience

Brian Perlman 964060
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply! Yes, besides having Mozilla Firefox not working, everything else seems normal. Speedy as usual.

Brian

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

The "You are no longer requesting help/a break" messages are part of an enhancement that clears a bunch of state information from your previous session.

Dunno about the connection issues though... Your BEST bet would be to post this on the VRC forums here on Vatsim or directly on metacraft.com/vrc

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Brian Perlman 964060
Posted
Posted
The "You are no longer requesting help/a break" messages are part of an enhancement that clears a bunch of state information from your previous session.

Dunno about the connection issues though... Your BEST bet would be to post this on the VRC forums here on Vatsim or directly on metacraft.com/vrc

Ian,

THX for the reply!! Yes, I posted a link to this thread in the VRC section of this forum (I didn't want to double post, thx Max!). I also signed up for membership to the metacraft.com/vrc forums, but haven't heard back (can't post anything until I'm a validated member). Anyways, why do u think I am getting these messages (this is the first time I've installed VRC on this comp, my laptop). Thus, I haven't had any previous sessions. Any help on getting rid of these?

Thanks for ur help!!

Brian

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Hi Brian - The messages are fairly standard. I get them everytime I've always got them with 1.2 since the changes were implemented. The latest version clears those flags as well as some other "supervisor related" states that may have been set in a previous session and then when you logged back on without the Supervisor rating caused problems.

They aren't really an error message at all - simply a status message that comes up whenever the .nobreak .nohelp commands are sent to the application.

Ian Elchitz

Brian Perlman 964060
Posted
Posted
Hi Brian - The messages are fairly standard. I get them everytime I've always got them with 1.2 since the changes were implemented. The latest version clears those flags as well as some other "supervisor related" states that may have been set in a previous session and then when you logged back on without the Supervisor rating caused problems.

They aren't really an error message at all - simply a status message that comes up whenever the .nobreak .nohelp commands are sent to the application.

Rgr that, but do you see any reason why these messages come up when I try to connect to VATSIM?

Thanks so much!

Brian

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Rgr that, but do you see any reason why these messages come up when I try to connect to VATSIM?

That would be a question that only Ross Carlson could truly answer but I'd anticipate its simply because a whole bunch of flags are cleared automatically when you try to connect (due to bugs that came up when they were not cleared). The break and help commands probably automatically trigger events which output those messages to the screen and thus when they are cleared - the messages pop up.

Ian Elchitz

Brian Perlman 964060
Posted
Posted

Ian,

Rgr that. Thanks a bunch for ur help!

BP

• 2 months later...
Peter Sagar 965209
Posted
Posted

Brian,

In your screen shots there is no Profile name showing in the Window Title Bar, eg, '[1] VRC 1.2.0 - "" - Not Connected'. Are you saving your Profiles without any name? I am wondering if a part of your problem lies in the lack of Profile name? There normally should be the name of the Profile you are opening, showing in the Window Title Bar. Have you tried saving a setup with a different Profile Name and then when starting VRC double clicked on that new Profile? As for the "break" messages, it almost seems like there is corruption of your keyboard inputs - have you double checked your Regional settings under Windows?

Ross - any thoughts why VRC might not put the Profile Name into the Title Bar?

It's a long shot.

Peter.