You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

No text no squawk

Jeff Apol 916619

Jeff Apol 916619
Posted
Posted

I can tune and be seen by any active controller. The controller and I can send private messages back and forth. But regular test will not go through. I was talkingt o some one for over an hour last night to try and get it to work. No luck. Does anyone have any ideas? I am running FS04 servinfo, sbrelay, sbhost I can tune controllers with no problem.

For those who serve life has a special flavor the protected will never know

http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916619/3.png

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

1. Just as a safe acition. Try run "SB Host.exe" not HostSB.dll

see 4. Squawkbox "SB Host.exe". Troubleshooting at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=2262#2262

When you tune the ATC freq. does the Squawkbox display blue lines with information from the ATC ? (it should do so)

Have you try change ATC freq. by double-click ATC in Squawkbox "ATC Directory" ?

Start AVC even if you just try text. se if it change Server when you change to an ATC freq. ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming ATC with voice.)

The Squawkbox should display one yellow line when you change to an ATC freq. ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming ATC with voice.)

Ask ATC (with no much traffic) or a pilot to go and check UNICOM. It sounds like you however stay at UNICOM 122.8 all the time.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Jeff Apol 916619
Posted
Posted

Everything about vatsim and all the programs that go along with it are working great. I can see other aircraft moving around. I can tune into the controllers freq. I can talk to the controller. i can send private messages to the controller. But what I can't do is send non private messages to the controller and the controller can't see my squawk. Its directly opposite of any other of the "normal" problems

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

> Its directly opposite of any other of the "normal" problems

Yes you right, never heard.

Maybe you have good control what is working and not and what you have try out.

But somehow it need more questions answers for an other to maybe by chanse get a cue what it is.

You don't come with answers and not much no new additional information.

> controller can't see my squawk

If you turn squawk ON, do you see your squawk code at Vatsim "Who's on line" ?

If you like to, you can answer the question, and say something about your Comuter/System/ Installed relevat program such as Anti Virus / Firewall.

Do you mean you can speak with voice with ATC ?

Do you run "SB Host.exe" and not HostSB.dll ?

I hope someone else also can come with some input.

Jeff Apol 916619
Posted
Posted

when i have sb up and running as long as i don't have a checkmark by suspend squawk atc should be able to get my squawk correct? I don't see an area on Vatsim "who's online" for squawk codes

When i get sb running I have been asking atc what the code they see for me and they always reply 0000. No matter what code i have. The only way i can text to anyone is through private messages. How can a private message work but the regular ones don't?

AMD64 3000+

ASUS K8V-SLI-DELUX

JATON NVIDIA 6600GT

NORTON INTERNET SUCURITY 2005

I have tried to do this with and without anti-virus and firewall enabled.

I have also tried with with sbhost.exe and hostsb.dll i have had no luck in either of those

Jeff Apol 916619
Posted
Posted

just an update

ATC can see me taxiing around on radar

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Just first a correction

Squawk codes are NOT in "Who's on line" .

Squawk codes are in "Visual Display", "Airplane details" list.

Apologize !

Anyway I guess it's 0000, since ATC see 0000. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you set Sqauwkbox menu Squawk "Standby" Unselected.

However make Squawk codes correct visible in "Visual Display", "Airplane details" list, Is a way to check if it get working, it should appear there as others.

> How can a private message work but the regular ones don't?

Never heard, very strange.

But can you please try answer all the question that is possible I marked with <?> from the start of this topic, It's my way to cut out fail sources.

Jeff Apol 916619
Posted
Posted

When you tune the ATC freq. does the Squawkbox display blue lines with information from the ATC ? (it should do so)

Have you try change ATC freq. by double-click ATC in Squawkbox "ATC Directory" ?

Yes sb works good in that function. when i log on it gives me a big speal about logging inwith correct info and using my real name. When i connect to a controller i get the atis information. and the current controller is highlighted in yellow.

Ask ATC (with no much traffic) or a pilot to go and check UNICOM. It sounds like you however stay at UNICOM 122.8 all the time

No, i can tune frequency's with no problem through te menu in SB. I can talk to any controller online. If they are speaking Elglish anyway

Squawk codes are in "Visual Display", "Airplane details" list.

OK I will look at that when i get home tonight

Anyway I guess it's 0000, since ATC see 0000. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you set Sqauwkbox menu Squawk "Standby" Unselected

I can selct back and forth. I have spend about 4 hours trying to figure this out myself. I have exhausted everything that i can think of to fix this on my own.

Do you mean you can speak with voice with ATC ?

yes, both AVC and Roger wilco. Roger Wilco is a lot clearer.

Do you run "SB Host.exe" and not HostSB.dll ?

I have tried both, no joy

Does this post answer your what you were looking for from me?

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

> Does this post answer your what you were looking for from me?

Yes it does. It confirm that you do have the problem exctly in the way you describe. I find no missing point in your debugging. But it aslo mean I have no direct idea. I give you some possible idea, you consider if they could make sence.

Did you try reinstall Squawkbox, if some file might has been currupted.

> NORTON INTERNET SUCURITY 2005

> I have tried to do this with and without anti-virus and firewall enabled.

Just because your problem is odd. Ok I know anti-virus Mcafee 'cause big Vatsim problem, EVEN IF TURN OFF. This is solved only by uninstall Mcafee.

Note for Norton it's just a possible chance. No confirmed. At least I can say only ZoneAlarm and XP SP2 firewall are well confirmed in this forum to work with Vatsim. And that anti-virus might need to be uninstalled to be very sure.

I have Cymantec (I think it'a a Norton thing), I must "Unload Service".

3. Question

When you try write to ATC, does it look normal in your Squawkbox (similar as private message), but just ATC can not read it ?

Can ATC write text-message to you, and you can read it ?

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have had this problem on the other side of the scope. When controlling I have had pilots that are sitting on the ground for ages. Eventually i send a private message to them asking if they need [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance and they reply that they have contacted me on text long time ago and were waiting for a reply!!!

It turns out that they can not see my messages on the frequency and i can not see theirs but we can send private messages without problems to each other.

I am not sure what might cause this but i know about a strange thing called "server-split" where a pilot might log on via one server and i as a controller is logged on on another. He can not see me in his ATC Directory and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umes there is no ATC active. I can not see him on my scope so i [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume there is nobody flying.

We both check Servinfo and we are both there!!!

I detect server split sometimes because i get different weather from ASRC/SB than from Servinfo.

Perhaps there is a remote chance that this fenomena with messages has something to do with this server-split?

Best Regards / Jan Naslund

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

> Perhaps there is a remote chance that this fenomena with messages has something to do with this server-split?

If there can be a problem in Vatsim server system link with server-split, then ask ATC what server (for text messages) he/she is connected to, then retry connect Squawkbox to same server as ATC.

(Or do I misunderstand server-split, how ATC connect to Vatsim and possible connection difference with ASRC and SB)

If this solve the problem, please report back here ('cause it should not be so).

An other question is, Jeff Apol do you always had and have this problem, also tried any place/ATC in the world ?

Owen Catherwood 903683
Posted
Posted

I've also had pilots with this problem. One of them who managed to fix it said that re-installing FSUIPC/SB fixed the problem, although it hasn't worked for all of them.

KZSE C3/Facilities Administrator

1798.png

Jeff Apol 916619
Posted
Posted

When you talk about servers are you talking about UK-1, USA-S?

An other question is, Jeff Apol do you always had and have this problem, also tried any place/ATC in the world ?

I have tried people in the US and Canada. I have tried other countries but i havn't been able to find one that is english speaking or can speak good enough english to help me

When you try write to ATC, does it look normal in your Squawkbox (similar as private message), but just ATC can not read it ?

Can ATC write text-message to you, and you can read it ?. NO all unprivate test message does not get read by either me or ATC.

Jan, when you had that incident where that guy was sitting on the tarmac for a long time and he said he mesaged you agout leaving and ou didn't get it. do you rememberwhat his squak code was? I'm asking because everywhere i go ATC reads my squak as 0000. And it will never update.

Lennart. I have uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2005 and have anabled the windows firewall I have also reinstalled SB. I have not installed hostsb.dll at this time. I will install it back when everything starts working. I am going to try reinstalling FSUIPC and see what that comes up with.

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

> When you talk about servers are you talking about UK-1, USA-S?

I mean the server IP-address or server-name you write/select in Squawkbox connection window.

I refer to http://www.vatsim.net/ -> WHO IS ONLINE -> SERVERS.

At this moment I see e.g. UK-1

Jeff Apol 916619
Posted
Posted

I found the problem. my FSUIPC.dll was messed up. I can talk to ATC and theyc an read my squak. Thanks everyone for their help and inputs.