You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Contest

Dennis Whitley 952478

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

Why exactly does Vatusa, an organization for flying/controlling online, need a mascot?

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Justin A. Martin

• Andrew Doubleday

• Paul Byrne

• Matthew Temple 880167

Top Posters In This Topic

• Justin A. Martin

Justin A. Martin 8 posts

• Andrew Doubleday

Andrew Doubleday 4 posts

• Paul Byrne

Paul Byrne 3 posts

• Matthew Temple 880167

Matthew Temple 880167 3 posts

Popular Days

• Jul 24 2007

20 posts

• Jul 25 2007

15 posts

• Jul 26 2007

7 posts

• Aug 2 2007

6 posts

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Careful... That question could potentialy be as open ended as asking for the job description of an air traffic manager...

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

Lol, could be true

I'm not trying to make my question sound mean or have it taken in a negative light, just wondering why we need a mascot. I, myself, might laugh at this if I was an outsider looking to join the network all over again.

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

A Mascot?! Honestly! Aren't there more important things? Like coming up with a salute, or policies or i don't know solutions to problems?

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

David Kluempers
Posted
Posted

Lets be sure to include a secret handshake as well.

David Kluempers - 884266

VATSIM USA Division

Eric Basile 984342
Posted
Posted (edited)

I must concur with the observations above. We have far more pressing issues at hand that cry out for serious consideration and advocacy by our VATUSA leadership.

Although I am not certain whether this thread was started as a joke, I am disappointed that we have time to talk about dogs - yet no one in leadership seems to have the time to comment on the serious changes that have been thrust upon us...changes that are being driven by individuals who are dangerously aloof, out-of-touch, and (evidently) unaccountable.

Respectfully,

Eric Basile

Edited by Guest

Eric Basile

ATP, LR-JET, CE-500, CFI, CFII, MEI

ZAU DATM

Timothy Salamon 995912
Posted
Posted
Careful... That question could potentialy be as open ended as asking for the job description of an air traffic manager...

I'm lost... why would an ATM need a job description?

Timmeh! (ST)

ZLA S3

N316BT, PAY7423, SWA6309, UPS431

61.png

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

Okay guys.....

I think Dennis just needed something to make this group more.....happy, or less woried about the stupid, "I disagree with this..." or "I hate this..." stuff. I think Dennis didn't do anything bad, in fact may have done something great by taking our minds off of every other bashing topic in this forum. Also, as Dennis noted, someone ELSE in VATUSA made the suggestion, so if you don't like it, don't take it up with Dennis. I think the most important thing is we are all having fun and having a good laugh, after all, isn't that what this is supposed to be? A fun, joyful hobbie that us people with similar interests share!!!

Just a thought and I don't want anyone to take the wrong way [if it can be taken the wrong way(which it probably can)]

Thanks,

JM

Gregory Sumner 883451
Posted
Posted
Okay guys.....

I think Dennis just needed something to make this group more.....happy, or less woried about the stupid, "I disagree with this..." or "I hate this..." stuff. I think Dennis didn't do anything bad, in fact may have done something great by taking our minds off of every other bashing topic in this forum. Also, as Dennis noted, someone ELSE in VATUSA made the suggestion, so if you don't like it, don't take it up with Dennis. I think the most important thing is we are all having fun and having a good laugh, after all, isn't that what this is supposed to be? A fun, joyful hobbie that us people with similar interests share!!!

Just a thought and I don't want anyone to take the wrong way [if it can be taken the wrong way(which it probably can)]

Thanks,

JM

This "stupid" discussion you refer to is an attempt by the membership to air thier opinions on a poorly explained policy. Communication is what we need, not more examples of our "leadership" ignoring the problems and not communicating with the members. Dennis has been appointed to be the leader of VATUSA, and since his appointment, the first communication we here from him is about some dang dog contest. Get real. The one thing you said I agree with is that this is supposed to be a fun hobby. If the leadership will get off thier cans and lead, settle these disagreements instead of ignoring them like some distant King, then maybe we can get back to having fun again. I know I sure do hope that happens. It is way past time for Dennis, or Craig to step up and settle this mess so that we can all get back to the hobby we love. In the meantime, we are rapidly losing a lot of great controllers.

BlackCatSignature.jpg

Matthew Temple 880167
Posted
Posted
Okay guys.....

Thanks,

JM

Justin,

If Dennis did not want to take heat for this idea, he should of let the originator of the idea post it up then.

In my opinion I look at it this way.

Approximately 4 threads below this one you have 228post/16 page thread going on where a representative of the BoG is trying his hardest to answer questions/clear up confusion on the upcoming MAJOR changes to an operational aspect of VATSIM. If I was understanding him correctly in his posts/clarifications there is room for the Divsions to further clarify issues relating to the policy via "local" policies.

I just checked all 16 pages of the thread and there is not a single post where the DD of VATUSA has made a presence. It is apparent to me that the staff of VATUSA and the general membership would like to know where the winds of change are going to take them.

Dennis may have his valid reasons for not jumping into that thread at this time and I don't fault him for that. However, by posting up a thread for a "mascot" it obivoulsy left a bad feeling based on the responses in this thread.

So, yeah, a thread like this at this time is going to draw both negative and positive attention. Like anything else in life, you have to take the good with the bad.

Remember, everyone may not be in the know what Dennis has cooking on the back burner so to them preception may be reality.

Matthew Temple

Mark Polston 810032
Posted
Posted

Dennis has been appointed to be the leader of VATUSA, and since his appointment, the first communication we here from him is about some dang dog contest

Just to set the record straight in Dennis' defense, the very first thing I saw him tell me as a member of VATUSA was something about setting up a roster of controllers to help with events. Independent of the boards and this thread, but nevertheless the FIRST thing I saw him send out to the division.

Mark Polston

vZTL ARTCC | VATSIM Supervisor

Ingo Harders
Posted
Posted

I fail to see the connection between Flight simulation /controlling and mascots. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. (It may even improve my FPS).

Regards

N405HT

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Strange...I thought Harvey was our mascot.

RJ

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

No, that was Pepsi

Cheers!

Paul.

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted

Not to speak for him, but perhaps Dennis doesn't feel that he is obligated to address some issues via this forum. If I have a problem with something I'll go straight to the source and we'll have a chat about it. Hopefully this constructive but respectful discussion will result in a resolution. How can you expect for someone to be receptive to input when you create an arrogantly toned thread on a forum to address issues that are already controversial?

That's my half a pennies worth....and I think the dog mascot thing is a cool idea myself.

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Jeffery,

...but perhaps Dennis doesn't feel that he is obligated to address some issues via this forum.

I would agree with you except he hasn't addressed any of these issues in any forums available to him.

In the VATUSA ATM/DATM forum, Dennis has a total of 5 posts since June. The last was on July 11th(not related to Global standards) and before that it was June 19th. There is currently a discussion going on there for the last 2 days about these new policies with absolutely no input from Dennis.

I hope this may help you understand why some of us are a little "peaked" by the thread.

I still vote for "CA-CA" the chihuahua and as for a theme song, knowing some of the guys I know here, it could only be the "Looney Tunes" theme song

Cheers!

Paul.

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Excellent Paul!!

As you know from the other forum, I agree 100%. Jeff, I'd have absolutely no problem with a thread like this either if the more important issues were being resolved first, or even at the same time. As Paul mentioned, this isn't the case at all. To make matters worse, it has been rumored (though not substantiated, since no staff will reply) that VATUSA will be implementing the new procedures far sooner (REALLY soon) than VATSIM as a whole. Of course, it is left upon the ARTCCs to figure out how to create policy and adapt to the new mandates in this short time, but nobody at VATUSA (or the EC for that matter) will answer any of our questions, or make any clarifications. I think that's why everybody is so frustrated. Roland has been working his behind off to see that our questions get answered, but it really isn't his place to be doing that. It's time for the VATUSA staff and EC to step up and start addressing some of the concerns.

I understand the matter of choosing a mascot is a very pressing issue right now in VATUSA (:roll:), but maybe we can take care of this global ratings thing first?

P.S. "CA-CA" the chihuahua...I love it!

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Guys, just to note, I had a pretty good e-mail conversation with Dennis tonight, and my impression is that he's getting things under control. The ATM/DATMs should be seeing something soon in regards to the rollout of the new policy, so that's a good thing.

Hopefully a lot more of our questions will be answered then.

In the meantime, let's hear it for CA-CA the Chihuahua!! He could use a few more votes.

caca.jpg

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

Fine.......Paul, you persuaded me.....CA-CA the Chihuahua it is!!!!!!

P.S. Nice edit Bryan. lol

Ricky Williams 971839
Posted
Posted

"Zulu" the boston bulldog

f14sigbetter.jpg

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

Is this going to be a real dog? If yes, how will it be cooked?

Norm Hare 907837
Posted
Posted

Leadership?...Mascot? I thought this was a hobby.

Gary Frothingham 811699
Posted
Posted

Yes, this is a hobby, and very good one at that. Since there is no half-time show, can we have em appear at different ARTCCs during the weekly events. Go CA-CA!

Matthew Temple 880167
Posted
Posted

Any news on the winning name and breed?

Matthew Temple

Andrew Quirion 919643
Posted
Posted
Marion Blakely... the Pomeranian (bitc* of course).

250px-Pomeranian_600.jpg

On a more serious note...

Aileron the Miniature Dachshund

miniature-dachshund-0037.jpg

Stabalizer the Great Dane

great-dane-0009.jpg

Zulu the Chihuahua

chihuahua-0212.jpg

I agree with Stabalizer or Aileron. Awesome names for a dog.

3712.png

Andrew Quirion ||FSX BUILD

8 GB XMS Corsair RAM

ASUS GeForce GTX 560Ti PCI GFX

1T HD

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.8 GHz CPU

750W Power Supply