You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hawardens GA Comic Relief Night

Andy King-Magee 810722

Andy King-Magee 810722
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

The Hawarden Virtual Airports Events Team would like to invite you to our Comic Relief Night on Friday 11th March 2005 starting 1800z till 0000z (Later if its busy). Full information is available at www.hawarden.org.uk or www.virtual-pilot.co.uk (no registration will be required).

You will be asked to donate £1 per take-off or landing (so one circuit would cost you £2). We will keep a record of all aircraft movements, so when you are ready to disconnect or leave the airspace for the night please private message EGNR_APP to be told your total runway fees.

Next, go to www.hawarden.org.uk and click on "Comic Relief" and then on "Make a Donation". You will be asked to fill in your details for our records and then sent to Comic Relief's website to pay your donation using our Comic Relief packs ID Number. Hawarden event organizers and VATSIM are not involved in the donation process, and therefore not accountable

for any donations made by members.

Let's get as many through the runway as possible on the night and if we are busy please do not be put off if you have any delays. Most of all let's all have a great night and create as much money as we can for a worthy charity. A Special thanks goes to Tony Pick for designing the extra scenery for this event.

Andy King-Magee

Hawarden Virtual UK

CEO ChauffAir VA

Hawarden UK & Virtual-Pilot UK

247.png

Andy King-Magee 810722
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

As part of the Comic Relief fundraising event on Friday 11th March we are delighted to announce the visit of three cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic WWII aircraft to join in the event.

A Lancaster & Hurricane will participate from RAF Conningsby, and they will be joined by a Spitfire MKXIV from Biggin Hill.

The formation will arrive at Hawarden at 2100z (flying VFR on "daylight" settings!) and after a formation arrival the Spitfire will carry out a solo aerobatic display before rejoining the formation and landing.

These aircraft will be meeting-up at Birmingham at around 2000z to refuel and continue to Hawarden.

As a result of this aircraft movement at Hawarden will be restricted between approximately 2055z and 2110z, but we hope as many people as possible will be present on the ground to watch the display.

We appreciate that due to multiplayer/FS limitations that many people will not be able to appreciate the event to its best - so it is hoped that a video of the display will be available for download shortly after the event.

We hope you will agree that the participation of these aircraft will add to the "real world special event" feel of the evening - and trust that you will enjoy the entertainment whilst at the same time raising money for Comic Relief. (The Spitfire display pilot will be making a donation of 10% of what would have been the REAL WORLD fuel cost of the Spitfire on the night ((EGKB-EGNR & display) to Comic Relief)

We look forward to welcoming you to Hawarden Virtual Airport on Friday for the Comic Relief G.A. flyin (and airshow!!!)

Andy King-Magee

Hawarden Virtual UK

CEO ChauffAir VA

247.png

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Now that I've just got to see!

Also please note this repost from the Vatsim-UK web forum:

Birmingham Approach is booked ready for any who wish to start their flight to Hawarden from here. I'll also donate £1 for every departure from EGBB with destination EGNR.

Mike Pike

Midlands Regional Training Scheme Manager

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Another repost from the Vatsim-UK webforum:

Although may credit card may hate me for this, I will go for the same idea as Mike,

for every departure Ronaldsway gets going to EGNR i'll stick £1 in

If I dont get much traffic, i'll donate £5 anyway

Martyn Bourner

EGNS_TWR

Chairman,

EuroManx Virtual Airlines

Ruth McTighe

Now not a VATanything

Andy King-Magee 810722
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

Well it looks like its going to be busy so lets make sure all our calls are clear and nice and early on initial contact if inbound VFR, make sure you can hold in a steady orbit if required. I will do my best to keep you all moving but it may well get bogged down at times, so please bear with me.

Can all ATC that have aircraft departing their airport for this event ensure each pilots voice comms is reability 5 to make sure I have no problems at Hawarden with poor quality voice comms.

All IFR traffic inbound please have the KEGUN Hold setup in FMC or FSNav and be prepared to hold, inbound course 007 left hand circuits not above 210 knots. All the standard KEGUN arrivals are in FSNav or at www.ais.org.uk under EGGP (Liverpool) as they are used for both airports and please adhere to the 210knts SLP (Speed Limit Point) on the arrival plate.

It doesn't look like I will have a TWR man so I have decided to bandbox TWR/APP as I think I will be better off on my own than with a TWR man who doesn't know Hawarden and its procedures. Hopefully that will not bite me back but we will see.

And please make sure you enjoy yourself and lets make lots of money for Comic Relief. I will post a full post match report on Saturday if I survive .

Andy King-Magee

Hawarden Virtual UK

CEO ChauffAir VA

247.png

Andy King-Magee 810722
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

Just had a thought, Hawarden's weather profile doesn't get updated once the airport closes between 1800 and 2000 in the winter meaning you will get stuck with an outdated metar and at the moment that is EGNR 111250Z 30015G33KT 260V340 9999 FEW020 BKN040 10/03 Q1012 so if its that when the last metar is faxed in you will be stuck with that all night.

We have a work around that the regulars do at Hawarden and that is to use Liverpool (EGGP)'s weather profile as that gets updated 24/7. If you would like to use the Liverpool weather in Squawkbox then open the ICAO.txt file within your SB Folder and search for EGNR and then just delete the whole line and the blank space. Save it and start SB, and it will search to

Liverpool for its weather as that is the nearest metar.

If your using ActiveSky then its not a problem as if a METAR is out of date it mixes the nearest 3 to get a pretty good auto created metar, its quite good and accurate enough.

Good luck everyone and enjoy the event.

Andy King-Magee

Hawarden Virtual UK

CEO ChauffAir VA

247.png

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

My thanks on behalf of the pilots and the staff to Andy King for an excellent night at Hawarden. I'll have to leave someone else to report on the flying display as unfortunately I had to miss it. But a great night was had by all, and I hope lots of money was raised for Comic Relief.

Ruth McTighe

Deputy Director, Vatsim-UK

Ruth McTighe

Now not a VATanything

Andy King-Magee 810722
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

Thanks to all who turned up and have donated, still a few to complete their donations so don't have a final figure yet but will post as soon as I do. We had a total of 12 aircraft which was very low to what I expected which was a shame but its a new event and you can expect the same each year for Comic Relief and Children In Need as they are the 2 events Hawarden Virtual Airport is going to support each year and these events will only get bigger and better.

I will post a final figure as soon as I have it which will also be available at www.hawarden.org.uk and www.virtual-pilot.co.uk for all to see. The total will not include any donations that weren't added to the above websites so please use them to enable us to have the correct amount.

Thanks to all the VSUK staff who supported this event and to all who participated in it and special thanks to....

Colin Billing (Spitfire) - Jason Sparkes (Lancaster) - Dan Finney (Hurricane) for the display and roll on Squawkbox 3 so we can have a repeat performance to watch again in the near future.

PS.... Ruth can I have my hook back? LOL

(I had to l[Mod - Happy Thoughts]o Ruth last night to stop her being blown away by the winds lol, not saying where I attached the hook LOL).

Andy King-Magee

Hawarden Virtual UK

CEO ChauffAir VA

247.png

Andy King-Magee 810722
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

The final figure for Hawarden's GA "Comic Relief" Night is £226 donated by us all. That is absolutely brilliant for 12 aircraft on the night.

Lets treble the aircraft over the whole 6 hours for "Children in Need" in November.

Thanks to all who participated and I am now working out a few challenges for you all for the next one.

Andy King-Magee

Hawarden Virtual UK

CEO ChauffAir VA

247.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

That is superb news Andy.

£226 in Africa is enough to:

* buy a plot of land and build a house for a family.

* Feed a child for 2 years.

* Provide 6 months needy medication against HIV.

Within the UK that same money can provide

* Food for 364 homeless people for a night

* Shelter for 75

To you and all those involved, a very well done for a very worthy cause.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg