You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Filing flight plan through Vroute

Alfredo Pacheco Jr 966120

Posted
Posted

I don't know if this was asked or not, so I will go ahead.

Will Vroute, in the future, have the cabability to file flight plans, like it does now, and link with VATSIM to fiel it on there to, instead of useing SB3 or FSInn, or even the VATSIM site? This would be an awsome feature to have.

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I guess it will, because many people ask for this feature.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Posted
Posted

LoL... Is it that hard to get permission to link up with VATSIM and get acces thru the app.?

Becuase if this happens, Vroute will be well have great potential to surpas ServerInfo.

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

It would only make sense if vroute was able to byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the user verification, since it already checked your PID it should not just redirect to a website and ask to enter your PID again and again.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted
It would only make sense if ....

Yes but what makes sense is a simple (dynamic per case) hyperlink that would lead users to a prefiled FPL browser page where they will only have to fill in the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word and press submit

If I remember well the prefile page URL can include data of the data boxes in it so that when it loads it can display the data precompleted straight away.

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Yes, but then the PID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word have to be filled in and I consider this unfriendly to the user, given that user's identity (vs VATSIM PID) was confirmed previously.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I doubt you'll get many complaints about people having to fill in their p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word ... they're already doing it, after all. And I imagine they can have their p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word stored in their browser. In any case, it's far better than not having the feature at all.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted
In any case, it's far better than not having the feature at all.

Hell yea!

955672.png

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted
Yes, but then the PID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word have to be filled in and I consider this unfriendly to the user, given that user's identity (vs VATSIM PID) was confirmed previously.

Michal

Michal just to help the discussion here and not to contradict you; I'd rather fill in my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word again (when did I give it the first time ? only on VROUTE setup) than to fill some 17 data boxes and tick another 2 manually every time

http://www.vatsim.net/fp/

spacer.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Kyp, if I accepted the technology with all its ugly aspects "as is", i would have never created vroute but simply another SI clone. Similarly, if Apple was accepting computer technology rather than creating it, we wouldn't have iMac, iPod and iPhone, we would have another clone of MS Windows, Media Player and Windows Mobile. So please forgive me that I don't accept "simple" but ugly solutions.

My reasoning behind vroute not supporting prefiling at all was that I find this feature hardly useful and frequently confusing, when someone wants to change his flight plan but the earlier, prefiled one is visible to ATC. In SI, another reason to prefile was to have a "poor man's booking", with 2 hours notice about your flight given in SI. Vroute has full size booking where you can quickly book anything, even a couple days in advance whenever needed. So I always preferred exporting flight plans to SB3/FSInn formats so that you are in control of what gets sent to the ATC.

Since many people ask me about the prefiling anyway, I'm happy to go with the flow. But please, don't force me to accept the ugly FP form .

Michal

vroute.net founder

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
Since many people ask me about the prefiling anyway, I'm happy to go with the flow. But please, don't force me to accept the ugly FP form .

Here here!!!!!! I gave up using it years ago because I never liked it.

I would love to see a way to book a flight in vRoute that also prefiles on VATSIM all in one motion, how great would that be!

Keep up the good work Michal

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

vroute could even prefile your flight automatically when the time arrives - so you book today a flight for tomorrow evening, and tomorrow the prefile will be submitted automatically. The only concern is weather might change your preferred route

Michal

vroute.net founder

Robert Cosgrove 936059
Posted
Posted
vroute could even prefile your flight automatically when the time arrives - so you book today a flight for tomorrow evening, and tomorrow the prefile will be submitted automatically. The only concern is weather might change your preferred route

Michal

That would be awesome . I too would like to see this in the future Michal. Best of luck in its development!

Bobby Cosgrove

sigBCosgrove-1year.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Well, VATroute was approved to directly file flightplans at VATSIM, so I do not see a reason why it should not work with vroute as well. Some details may have to be checked out on this (e.g. saving the users' VATSIM p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words on their machines), but these are things that can be done.

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

That's interesting. Actually, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming vroute's server is trusted, VATSIM could accept the prefiles without a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word - because vroute verifies user's PIDs & p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words at registration time, and intentionally does not store them at all *.

Michal

* - actually, the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words are entered into VATSIM's own page and therefore vroute does not _ever_ see the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, it just get's an "OK" from VATSIM

vroute.net founder

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Sure, if there's a better way (without storing PWs locally) then go for it. I am not 100% into the details of VATroute's pre-filing functions, but so far the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word needs to be stored locally and is sent automatically everytime you send a flightplan to VATSIM. Have you tried out VATroute?

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted
But please, don't force me to accept the ugly FP form .

Michal I understand what you mean and respect your views on creating something new. This is the only way to move forward.

In my (simulation) view the FPL prefile is the phase where, in real, I submit the Flight Plan. We do this in each flight and there's nothing nice to it, just a tool. Even the real FPL is not a pretty docomeent, its a bold tool as simple as possible for best use of it.

If it is aviation I am simulating I would never look for beauty in a Flight Plan filing form ! I would just file the thing and leave off to ride the aircraft where the real beauty of the day lies !

spacer.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Then vroute today can export a flight plan to FSInn/SB3 format, which you can easily load up later and instantly submit to VATSIM. No new features are needed for that .

Michal

vroute.net founder

• 1 year later...
Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted

Coming back to an old thread to thank Michal.

Feature implemented; you'll find it at the export format choices of the route Export tab.

Thank you Michal

spacer.png