You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
PLEASE READ - Webmaster Support Forum
This forum will be retired in the near future. Please direct all queries to our dedicated GitHub support page https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/discussions 
Here you can find documentation on our services and we are continuing to migrate pertinent information into the Wiki pages https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/wiki

data.vatsim.net down

Nick Johnston

Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

Do we have a contact for whoever's managing the data.vatsim.net server?

It looks like it's been down for the last sixteen hours. This is showing up in data not updating in the ATC Display applet, ServInfo, Whazzup and alike, as well as on the various VATSIM-affiliated websites that have client data displayed.

First timeout error I have in my logs is at 14:48 Thursday 30/8/2007 UTC.

Nick

Nick Johnston

IT Director, VATNZ - VATSIM New Zealand
Cross the Ditch Guy, Cross the Ditch

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Contacted Luca to take a look at the data server.

RJ

Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

Looks like it's back up again. Thank Luca - does he have access to this forum? - for the quick turn-around!

Nick Johnston

• 2 weeks later...
George Papanikolopoulos 81
Posted
Posted

Yes, he has now!

Regards,

George Papanikolopoulos (INS+)

VATSIM CID 810336

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

i do have access but it would be best if you drop me an email... i'm not a very constant reader of the forums lately, so a mail at luca AT vatsim DOT net is the best solution i think....

Thank you, Luca

PS: A single post in THIS thread will have the same effect as i subscribed the thread

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

• 1 month later...
Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

Hi Luca,

The data feed server appears to be down - the timestamp in the data is 05:26:50 5/Nov/2007 (coming on two hours ago).

Nick.

Nick Johnston

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Should be ok, thanks for the warning...

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

No problem, Luca. Thanks for the quick fix.

If you like I can have the data feed p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]r here email you automatically if the feed stays down for more than x minutes...

Nick Johnston

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

This would be useful as my own server has had some (lots of in fact) problems recently and i'm not able to check it as i'd like on my own.

Please use the following email: luca (at) vatsim (dot) net.

thank you.

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Luca, I thought you already had Nagios set up to monitor the age of the data files. Am I mistaken?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

i had... the last server crash brought the complete system down and i have to recreate it from scratch, i will try to do this in the next weeks, but due to the fact that i am changing work i have little spare time at the moment.

Most scripts are still available (the /home filesystem survived) so it shouldn't be a real problem but i need to find the time to rebuild the nagios system...

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

Luca, I've modified my datafeed processing script to email both of us if the timestamp in the data file is more than ten minutes old. Is there anyone else who should be on the recipient list?

Nick

Nick Johnston

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

at the moment i'd say no... as there's nobody who can effectively make something to correct the problem.

Thank you, Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

• 1 year later...
Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

I've just moved the VATNZ over onto using the new client data feed.

The last two years I've been working with Luca as my technical contact for the old server and he has been unfailingly fantastic in terms of promptly answering questions, responding to feedback, and getting things working again when the server had a bad hair day. However I understand he is not involved with the new data feed.

Who is the equivalent technical contact for the new servers?

As an aside, as I write this the new feed hasn't been updated for nearly seven hours (it is still showing data from 13/2/2009 05:16 UTC).

Nick

Nick Johnston

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

Tim Krajcar

Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

Tim,

Not sure if you've been checking your email: I sent you an email on Friday evening UTC with a couple of issues that I've encountered since changing over to the new feed. Specifically there appear to be a couple of differences between the old feed and the new one. Most critically there is a bug with colon characters not always being stripped from data fields which breaks the feed.

This is causing issues for our online activity tracking and the VATSIM for Google Earth feed among others.

Can you give me an ETA on when you expect this to be resolved so that I can let the division staff know.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Johnston

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have been checking my email. The issues you've identified are both to do with the dataserver itself; I've forwarded them to Mike for his review. No ETA to commit to at this time. Tim

Tim Krajcar

Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Tim. Appreciate the update.

Nick Johnston

• 2 weeks later...
Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

Tim,

I've found another bug in the new client data feed.

The origin/destination airport lat/long fields (fields 32-35) are all returning '0' rather than the correct values. Can you please investigate this, and provide us with an ETA on when this and the other bugs I've identified will be fixed.

Alternatively, if the client data feed is going to remain broken for an indefinite period, can we look at getting the old feed reinstated as it's now been a couple of weeks and from here at least it doesn't appear that there's been any progress made in getting the new feed to correctly replicate the original one.

If additional man-power is needed to help speed the response, I'm happy to help out in any way that I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Johnston

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Hi Nick,

I'm pretty sure the lat / lon of airports has been dropped.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yes, the airport lat/lon field was intentionally removed from the feed, since the database was very outdated anyway. Applications that use the feed will need to have a local copy of an airport database if they need that info.

Nick Johnston
Posted
Posted

Ah, okay, I'll add the orig/dest lat/long population to my scripts.

As one of the main users of the feed it would have been nice to have been consulted or at least notified before decisions like that were made. Were there any other changes to data feed that I need to be aware of (are they docomeented somewhere?) so that I can work out which of the issues I'm encountering are bugs and which are due to changes in functionality? Perhaps we should also update the format docs in the header of the client data file itself as they currently still imply that meaningful orig/dest lat/longs values should be there.

The issue causing me the biggest problem is the unescaped colon characters in the fields. That one definitely is a bug and probably 95% of the errors I'm seeing would disappear if we could get that one fixed. Is there any chance of getting some feedback on when that's likely to happen?

As I said earlier, I am more than happy to help out if it's a question of manpower.

I'm sorry to keep harping on about this, but I am getting messaged daily from staff and users of the websites/applets/etc wanting to know what's wrong and when I'll get it fixed, and it is incredibly frustrating and demotivating to be having to intuit undocomeented (to the extent of my visibility at least) changes to a long-standing published interface, and to have no visibility of the progress (if any) being made on the bugs that I have reported.

Nick

Nick Johnston

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'll let Mike and/or Tim reply about any potential changes.

• 1 month later...
Nico Plambeck 904229
Posted
Posted

data.vatsim.net is down for a longer time and the great atc applet too.

Does anyone knows more?

Best regards and take care.

Nico Plambeck

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

data.vatsim.net was the old data-stats server which has been turned off a couple of months ago.

I really didn't think anybody was still using the atc applet... what do you need it for?

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2